Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added what I thought was bleach but test results did not change

1. Back To Top    #1

Added what I thought was bleach but test results did not change

It has been hotter than burnt rubber around here for the last couple of weeks and haven't been able to keep my FC level up since I had a pump issue (another story but fixed now) and had to shut the pump down for a day. That day my FC level went down to .5 or 1 and I haven't been able to get it back up. I ran the pump day and night for several nights but it still is .5-1 range.

I went and bought some Chlorox Pool and Spa Green Algae control which has 10% benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethly in it that I assumed was bleach. I added it late yesterday afternoon and checked FC level this morning, it was still .5. So I got to looking at the chemical make up of true Chlorox bleach and it shows it is Sodium Hypochlorite. I am thinking I did not add 10% bleach with the Green Algae control stuff, correct??

I am trying to get my core FC level back up to 4-5 and let my SWG keep it there.

Any suggestions on what I need to do. Maybe go get some true bleach if the Green Algae stuff isn't bleach. If it is bleach why are my levels not up to 4-5. I added two gallons of the stuff and the pool calc says that should bring it up 4.5 points.
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added what I thought was bleach but test results did not change

Two things: 1) that wasn't bleach you added and (2) Chlorox is the most expensive bleach you can buy... buy store brand 8.25% bleach. (And you are 100% right about the Sodium Hypochlorite.)

3. Back To Top    #3

You have to read the labels on pool products. Chlorox began selling a line of traditional pool chemicals, probably to capitalize on the growing trend of chlorinating with bleach. As long as there is no copper in that algaecide it is probably ok. You may see some foaming and increased chlorine demand for a couple of days. Go ahead and get a few large jugs of 8% unscented bleach and add them as needed. Unless there is a problem with the SWG it should be able to keep up once the FC level is established.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I feel like a total dummy. And I pride myself in reading the labels and making sure I know what I am putting in my water. Oh well, I guess this will just make me be on the tips of my toes instead of just standing flat footed.

I'm off to get some bleach today and will put it in.

thanks for the help
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013