Supply Side leak or clogged line? Not able to Prime Hayward Pump

Hi All,

I would like confirmation or correction if possible, before I dig up the yard to trace back the underground supply side lines for a leak. We can't get the pump to reprime after shutting it off and I can't tell if the problem is a leak in the line, a clog in the line from an errant toy being sucked in, or if there is a problem with the impeller. Here's what has been done:

1. When I turned the pump back on the other day, it made a humming noise, like it was trying to get going but couldn't. I turned the power off and then on again, at which point it made a single click and then nothing. I disconnected the motor and took a look at it. The impeller seemed tough to turn by hand. I pulled a bit of hair and gunk out, but not much I thought. There seems to be a lot of wear on the end of the impeller, where it fits into the diffuser (?) body - concentric rings or grooves - I don't think they look like they're intended or molded into the piece. I tried to take the impeller off (following the instructions on a video and on this forum, but the impeller was on too tightly for me to continue - I couldn't loosen it by hand and didn't want to break anything by reefing on it or using the tool I use for removing oil filters.

2. Because of the click, I took it to the electrical shop, where they confirmed the capacitor was blown. They replaced it and tested it (with the impeller/head assembly on) - the motor turned and sounded fine so I brought it home and reconnected everything. When I flipped the switch, the pump started up fine and sounded okay, but I can't get suction to start.

3. I can get a very small amount of water to draw from the skimmer basket side, but not enough obviously. I have tried:
- covering the intake at the bottom of the basket with my hand to create vacuum - nothing.
- putting the hose down the inlet and running the tap full bore - nothing but a few bubbles from the jets.
- re-opened basket lid and refilled basket at pump - closed and tightened the screws. (not a seal problem there, checked by pouring water over it).
- tried the 25 foot toilet snake/auger and encountered nothing, but could not be 100% sure because the snake could not get beyond an S-turn in the line. I went at it from both ends of the line, though, and the auger head was gunk free each time.

4. There is no loss of water over time in the pool, and there was none when the pump was running, so I don't think it is a cracked line between the skimmer and the pump house. Besides, I've had cracked lines from under the skimmer basket before and we had sand leaking into the system then.

Does it sound like there is still a problem with the impeller being clogged or is it possible there is a problem with the motor not turning fast enough? I don't think it is the latter but I am also out of ideas at this point, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to TFP! Sorry about those troubles you're having. You've done quite a few good things already in an effort to troubleshoot the problem. Yes, you may very-well still have a pump issue, but we may have other suggestions from forum members. Just to make sure though ... ..... you stated you opened and refilled the basket right? Did you do that just once or multiple times? I ask because in my case, whenever my pump basket went bone-dry from something unusual, I had to use a 5-gallon bucket and actually fill it (quickly) 2-3 times before it finally kept its prime. Since I have a cartridge filter, whenever I lost prime, it meant I also lost some water within the filter, so it took a few times to prime and fill everything up in the system to hold a suction. Just a thought.

Let's give this post a little time to see what other replies you receive. Let's make sure we're not missing something silly before you try to buy a new pump. Good luck, and welcome again to the site.

Stick a garden hose into the skimmer & stuff a rag around it to fill in the gap. Leave the cover off the pump & turn on the hose. Once water is flowing into the pump replace the cover & flip the switch. Leave the hose running a few minutes to help keep prime while any other inlets are filling with water. If that gets it going then you should be able to tell if air is being sucked in from anywhere.

It doesn't take a very large air leak to make priming difficult. I changed out the O-rings on all my valves & that seemed to help.

Stick a garden hose into the skimmer & stuff a rag around it to fill in the gap. Leave the cover off the pump & turn on the hose. Once water is flowing into the pump replace the cover & flip the switch. Leave the hose running a few minutes to help keep prime while any other inlets are filling with water. If that gets it going then you should be able to tell if air is being sucked in from anywhere.

It doesn't take a very large air leak to make priming difficult. I changed out the O-rings on all my valves & that seemed to help.

Did what you suggested, mike1162, to o positive result. Couldn't get water to flow from skimmer to pump, so snaked the line again and tried water from other end. It DID flow and flow well, up into the skimmer basket. Going to replace the o-ring on the pump/impeller unit, but also going to resign myself to having to have the professionals take a look at the impeller for anything I have missed...besides, I haven't been abl;e to take the impeller head off the motor shaft, as it is jammed on too tightly. I'll let the paid guys break it rather than me...

STILL happy to take any other suggestions, though...

How long did you let it run before giving up? Mine takes a good two minutes to prime. The trickle of water will keep your pump cool enough for a few minutes.

Give it a try, you may have to do nothing. Give up after five minutes assuming you are still getting only a trickle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.