Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock deposits / lumps - will an acid wash cure this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock deposits / lumps - will an acid wash cure this?

Not sure if it was the previous owners being lazy, or the realtor not knowing pools, but it looks like i have lumps all over the pool caused by shock not dissolving properly? I'll try and get an underwater picture, but they are basically lumpy things that i can scrape off with a putty knife, and they dissolve. But, they are everywhere. They are gray with white hard deposits in the middle, and everywhere!!!!

the pool needs a good acid wash anyway, but I can't do that for a couple months since it's so hot right now. Wondering if that will cure it? Maybe I'll try and carefully remove one and see if muriatic acid dissolves it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock deposits / lumps - will an acid wash cure this?

When you pull one out, save one, crush it, and see if smells strongly of Chlorine before you put on in acid. Let us know what you find, I'm sure others would be interested besides me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Will do Patrick - I'll try and get some pictures tonight. Need to test the new waterproof phone case anyway

4. Back To Top    #4

Brett_N,

Just food-for-thought here - read user @OnBalance's post about calcium nodules. Since you did not control the pool prior to getting the house, there's no telling what was done previously. Calcium scaling is always a possibility.

Good luck.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Joyful....hmm.....this may be what I have - but if it is, I'm screwed and may need to have the whole pool re-plastered. Yay.

6. Back To Top    #6

I used a pumice stone to knock away calcium "nodules" in my spa once before. They were on the spa seat and walls.....not real big. About the size of a sunflower seed kernel or less. My wife was happy because the calcium deposits were ruining the bottom of here expensive bathing suits. I'd need to maintain it about 1x per year.
    The pool was kept pretty well balanced (usually!!!).

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mmcwhorter10 View Post
    I used a pumice stone to knock away calcium "nodules" in my spa once before. They were on the spa seat and walls.....not real big. About the size of a sunflower seed kernel or less. My wife was happy because the calcium deposits were ruining the bottom of here expensive bathing suits. I'd need to maintain it about 1x per year.
    The pool was kept pretty well balanced (usually!!!).
    That's not surprising. Spa water chemistry is easily thrown off and can become scaling. Usually you lower the pH and TA a bit before soaking to abate some of the pH rise.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates