Virgin Post - not sure where it will land, but need quick help re TA

Bugsy

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jul 19, 2015
Cupertino, CA
My pool has lots of problems - high CYA, high TA, high CH. The story can wait, but I need to know what to do about my TA now. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and read, among other things, how to lower alkalinity. So starting out with a TA of about 180 (according to Leslie's) I set my pump to act as an aerator and use the spa jets and have gotten the TA down to 110 this evening. My question is when should I stop aerating, because Leslie's takes off 30 because of my high CYA (200 from them, I'm not confident yet with my test results from the kit, but I think it's less.... but still way too high)...which would be a TA of 80, which is where I think I'm supposed to be? Or should I just keep aerating until my TA test yields 80? Thanks for any help. This place is so great!

Welcome to TFP!

The objective is not to reach a number with TA it is to reach a point where the PH is stable. Once you get to about 100 then stop lowering it and just maintain your PH between 7.2 and 7.8 for a few weeks to see how your PH behaves.

Although, your CYA is a much bigger problem that needs to be addressed. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is virtually impossible for you to successfully maintain your pool with CYA over 200.

Read this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you. I know my CYA is a huge problem - and it has been for well over a year at least. But no one recommends draining here because of our drought and they haven't recommended it for probably the last 2 years. I've tried Leslie's Bio-Active cya acid reducer (2 packs) but they've now found it has some pretty severe restrictions on when to use it for it to be effective. I've called our water company about draining the pool, half-way, foot-by-foot, and they're pretty useless other than to tell me it's going to cost a bunch. I'm afraid I may have equipment problems due to ch and metal but I can only attack so much at once; just trying to deal with the worst first. I appreciate your help. I did read pool school and all before attempting to send a message. :) I will stop aerating at 100, although the PH is one thing that hasn't been a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.