(Total noob) skimmer and drain issues

Jul 21, 2015
Tempe, Az
Hi guys....after relentless searching, I'm lost....

i dont think think my bottom drain is working....but, weird thing is, I have no diverter valve, so it must all be controlled in the skimmer.

There is a hose attachment in the bottom (lousy picture, sorry, it's dark out) but that seems to be stuck like glue. Should I get the vise-grips out and yank away on that thing and see if it pops out? I hesitate, since that's the only way I can hook up my vacuum hoses.

Let me see if I can get this image to attach...

20150721_203927.jpg

I'm learning...ugh...28,000 gallons is...entertaining.....

I'll see what I can get tomorrow when the sun is up. It doesn't look like much, just a black plastic tube that seems to go down about 6 inches into the bottom of the skimmer, and the vac hose then attaches on top. I think it blocks off the bottom drain port, but I'm new to this and don't want to break something that requires a nightmare to fix. I almost wonder if it isn't a poor mans vacuum attachment that just managed to get stuck, but again, I don't want to break anything.

Thanks OldPoolMan - I think your onto it. And yes Pooldv - it's a concerte skimmer box with some sort of pebbling around it.

The pool is old. Guessing it may have been put in mid-80's, but it could be as old as 1971 when the house was built.

- - - Updated - - -

If I can manage to get this thing out, what do I replace it with? One of the swing door type diverters that just sits on the bottom of the skimmer?

After a (typical Saturday morning) trips to the pool store, we think we figured out what the part looks like. (Special thanks to the guys at B&B in Tempe!)

Like this...

Dropbox - 20150725_100427.jpg

problem is, I can't get the old one out!!! Ahhhh!!!

but I did manage to spend the rest of the morning cleaning the cartridges so the pump is happy again. Now to install the SuperPump :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well Brett, the really old pools like yours used brass diverters. The newer ones used plastics. If you get desperate to get it out, careful use of muratic avoid could help, otherwise draining down the pool and using stuff like wd40 would do it. But, that's last resort!

Thanks poolman (hate calling ya' old LoL!)

would they hey have used brass fittings with plastic inserts? The thingy that's in there is definitely plastic. I made a giant "T" shaped wrench with some PVC tubes but still couldn't get it to budge. If the concrete side insert is brass, I can see it maybe having expanded so much that it locked up tight (it's hot hot hot in phoenix right now!!) but plastic shouldn't expand the same way.

I picked up up the new diverter. I'm going to follow your advice and wait until I need an acid wash and sanding (nasty calcium deposits, I may need a re-plaster) and give it a good shot off wd40. Or cut it out, or something similar, but I need the water level down and I can't afford to break it off and lose my vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.