Reverse Math to determine Pool Size

muffin_dad

Jan 6, 2014
FloMo, TX
Greetings all!

Inherited a pool that came with the house - is there a way to reverse calculate the pools volume based upon affect of a predetermined amount of chemicals?

For example, wait until night, turn SWG off, test, add 40 oz of 10% liquid bleach and test again in 30 minutes? I know and use the pool calculator but don't see a way (or the math) to reverse the calcs.

Thanks!

Maybe this suggestion is too much work but wouldn't the county or municipality you live in have records of the house and the pool build? My county (Pima County, AZ) wanted all details of the pool build submitted. I think there's even online records for the build details.

Just a thought in case you wanted an exact number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using pool math, you can use "the effects of adding" towards the bottom and use what you think your pool volume is, then add and test. If you are a tad higher or lower than what you should be, then adjust the volume accordingly.

Chlorine isnt going to work out very well. Chlorine looses a bit of potency with age. Entirely possible that if it says 10% on the bottle, its actually 9.5, which would skew the test results.

pH would be better.

If you really want to so have some fun though, you can calculate it chemically by the directions in this thread and get pretty close. I did it. Its interesting to do.
A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume

Thanks JoyfulNoise, hadn't thought of that!

Dave, thanks this is fascinating. Is there a drop test for Ph I should be using? I only have that 2 sided CL/Ph tester thing (I'm sure it has a name) but also use the powder/drops to test Cl.

I like the idea of the thread you sent me though, I'm going to outsource this to my brother in law who has a masters in chemical engineering and my boy scout who is 11. I'm sure there is a merit badge about chemistry in there somewhere!

Dave, thanks this is fascinating. Is there a drop test for Ph I should be using? I only have that 2 sided CL/Ph tester thing (I'm sure it has a name) but also use the powder/drops to test Cl.

The Phenol Red pH test you have is the only drops-based test I'm aware of.

All the various Yellow/Red type kits out there use the OTO reagent for Cl, and the Phenol Red (in differing concentrations) for pH.

The "2-sided testing thing" does have a name... It is usually called a "Comparator block" or just a "Comparator".

For pH it is important to replace the reagent (when you run out) with one of the right concentration. And probably best to stick with the same manufacturer/brand.

But the OTO seems to be pretty standard, even across brands.
That makes it easier to find reagent, if like me--you find out that you are running low only once it is totally gone... requiring a hurried run to the store, so your teenager can do his job, because he isn't allowed to swim unless he tests Cl and pH first.

A lot of us have used PoolMath to adjust the volume for pools. Dave outlined how to do it. I'll only add that you should run the test many times with different chemicals before settling on a volume. Over time you'll find out that you will get pretty close to the 'real' volume this way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.