Pac-Fab Triton TR60 filter repair/cleaning questions?

MitchRyan912

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Madison, WI
Hi all, new here to the forum and am in my second year of owning an in-ground pool. Last year was mastering water chemistry, but this year has been the mechanical aspect of things.

So my pump motor died last week on a 1 year old pump, and a new one is arriving tomorrow evening. Since I have some down time, I decided to investigate my filter, to see if there was indeed something broken on it that was causing it to shoot sand back into the pool. It gets pretty sandy/dirty on the bottom of the pool, but it hasn't this past week since the pump stopped circulating water.

Today I opened the top to my Pac-Fab Triton TR60, and the first thing I noticed was a thick layer of dandelion dust or something of a similar makeup that supposedly comes from local dogwood trees. Whatever it is, the fibers bound up pretty good and are probably making it difficult for the sand to do its job.

I managed to shovel and shop vac out all of the sand today, and found at least one bad lateral and the other 7 had sand stuck between the slits in the openings in the lateral. I'm assuming these specks of sand jammed in there probably help enable other specks of sand to travel back into the pool.

Luckily my local pool store had 8 new laterals in stock, so I can just replace them all and even done with it. However, I can't take apart the inner workings of the filter to inspect the hub that the laterals screw into. I have no idea what I need to do to get at this or how to check if the hub is cracked or otherwise defective. Should I be worried about the hub very much or do the laterals seem like the culprit? I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Either way, once I'm ready to fill the filter back up with new pea gravel (50 lbs), should I reuse the old pool sand or buy new? Buying new allows me to by the exact amount I need, while using he old keeps me from knowing exactly how much I'd be putting in (unless I weighed each bucket.)

Just curious what you'd do here?

Thanks in advance!

That broken lateral is most likely the problem. However, you should be able to take the bulkhead fitting apart and get the bottom lateral hub out through the top. It's a bit of a pain but it will come out. If for some reason you can't get the bulkhead fitting apart, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You really don't need to know the exact amount of sand you're putting in the filter. Just fill it until there's 10½" of freeboard left between the sand and the top of the filter. I'd clean and reuse the old sand.

Any suggestions on how to get the piping assembly/assemblies out of the filter? It's a bad hub too. :(

IMG_1432.jpg

I can't get my Channel Locks wrenches in here to remove the nut holding either of the piping assemblies down.

IMG_1434.jpg

How do I get these out?

The bulkhead connectors unscrew from the outside once you get the nuts in the picture loosened a little.

Try taking a long screwdriver or rod and placing against the corner of the flats (11oclock position in the picture) and bumping it with a hammer. I've loosened many nuts that way. Once it's a little loose, you should be able to unscrew the connector from the outside.

Gave that a shot, and it's not working. Going to see if I cab borrow a strap wrench from work.

That said, do I even need to take these out? Does the hub unscrew from the piping assembly in a manner similar to the diffuser?

Got it off!

IMG_1437.jpg

The piping assemblies are what unscrews off, not those nuts. Unfortunately, I have to do some hacking to make it work, as the old hub is glued on. It's nice to see a MUCH more robust hub than what was on the original Triton. Need to chop off the PVC end of the old piping assembly, and glue on a 2" PVC to male thread adaptor. Then I can screw on the new hub to that.

Good to see that there's some aging to the cracks, with only a few spots where theres new cracks from the hub completely breaking apart.
IMG_1435.jpg

I like grooves, but only in my music! This is the culprit for some of my sand coming thru, I'd bet!
IMG_1436.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.