Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC for OCLT

1. Back To Top    #1

Question FC for OCLT

I feel I may have a problem so i wanted to perform an OCLT tonight. I brought my FC to shock value just because I'd like to for the night. When measuring FC I got 23, then I tested again just to see what I'd get; I got 24. So I decided to split the difference and go with 23.5. Just to see what I'd get if I checked FC a third time I did...21. Well, okay let's test again...22. If I am only allowed 1ppm change in FC over the night and my start FC is anywhere from 21-24ppm in the course of 10 minutes I am confused. Why am I getting such a varied FC with back to back checks and how am I suppose to be accurate within 1ppm in the morning?
    Round Frame Pool 15' x 42" (app. 3800 gallons) converted to Krystal Clear 2800 GPH .75 HP (conversion thread Here all the links/info you will need are within), TF100 Test Kit with speed stirrer. My first SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC for OCLT

This comes up from time to time. What about doing the 25ml test and multiplying by 0.2?

Here is a thread, DPD Powerder Test with comments from some pros.

Also, more in depth instructions here in post #4, Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    This comes up from time to time. What about doing the 25ml test and multiplying by 0.2?

Here is a thread, DPD Powerder Test with comments from some pros.

Also, more in depth instructions here in post #4, Extended Test Kit Directions
    Thank you Pooldv, I thinks these links answered my questions. Much appreciated.
    Round Frame Pool 15' x 42" (app. 3800 gallons) converted to Krystal Clear 2800 GPH .75 HP (conversion thread Here all the links/info you will need are within), TF100 Test Kit with speed stirrer. My first SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

I have to redo my OCLT but your links gave me the info I needed to solve my issue. I wasn't holding my bottle vertical and going slow. This morning I did the FC twice and got the exact same results by changing my drop technique. Thanks again.

5. Back To Top    #5

another thing that can affect your FC readings is the volume of water. when dealing with the 10ml line you have to really make sure you have the exact same water level each time for the OCLT. if you have 10.0 ml sample for the first test, but the second test you have a volume of 9.5ml, that's a difference of 5%. when you have a FC of 24, 5% is 1.2ppm. so you can see that a very small difference in volume can make a big impact at that high of a FC....

for normal testing of FC, say at 7ppm, those two volume differences would only make a difference of 0.3ppm which is outside the range of accuracy.

make sure you are placing the tube on a level surface and getting eye level with the water level. fill it till the bottom of the curved water surface is right on to 10 line. and make sure you do it the next day too. the difference in filling the water to 10ml and 9.5ml is not much, very easy to do. even 9.0ml can look like 10ml if you are looking at it from a downward angle

like I said, for normal day to day testing its not a big deal, but when you are doing the OCLT you need to try and be accurate.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

6. Back To Top    #6

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow Dan props to you getting the thumbs up from the master!
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bkfamily1 View Post
    Wow Dan props to you getting the thumbs up from the master!
    right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    WOW!
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Chem Geek would probably fallen off his chair happy had you used the word meniscus instead of "curved water surface" huh? LOL
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Chem Geek would probably fallen off his chair happy had you used the word meniscus instead of "curved water surface" huh? LOL
    you know I was going to, even had it typed in there, then I said no...lets go layman's term
    Dan

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

when in doubt, do both!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quick Tip---- Go to a pharmacy and ask for a 10ML syringe, they are free with medicine. I use it to measure 10ML consistently for my FC test every time I preform my test. It stores perfect inside the K-2006 laying on top of the reactant bottles on an angle.
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

13. Back To Top    #13

My problem was how I held the bottle and how fast I dropped. The original links posted were exactly what I needed. The rest of the tips are just icing, thanks guys.

Ps I'll be in the lab Monday and planned on grabbing some used 10ml saline flushes for measuring, great minds think alike