Easy Set Q: Is there a type of waterproof tape to cover the top ring before it pops?

K9 Protected

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Newport News, VA
Hello TFP Gurus!!

My [realistic] dream is to have an affordable inground pool, and I have found that there are two AG pool brands (Medallion Freedom Pool and the Radiant Metric Pool) so far that are able to be fully sunken into the ground that may work next year for me. For the rest of this year, I am going to grab another Intex Easy Set 18' x 42" here next week and put a sand filter/SWG combo I bought 2 years ago for the 15' x 36" I had for the dogs then. Keeping the top ring inflated was virtually impossible... :scratch:

What I'm hunting for day and night right now (literally... :study: ) is to see if there is a vinyl repair type tape that I can preemptively wrap that top inflatable ring with to protect it from the dogs' nails as they launch off of it and hang on to it while inside the pool. It appears that Tear-Aid, type B would work, but may double or triple (or worse! :brickwall:) the cost of the pool to cover the whole ring with Tear-Aid. I'm willing to spend another $200-300 if needed to wrap the ring before adding water to the pool, but more than than seems a bit nuts. I have read everything I could find about people who had issues with the top ring holding air, and I don't want to rip it open ahead of time to alter it just yet. It seems like if I could find the right tape without breaking the bank, this could work for awhile!

The Easy Set allows them to get in and out of the pool without having to have any decks built and sets of stairs built/bought when my goal is to have a relatively inexpensive IG pool/sunken AG pool in the next year or two, making AB decking/stairs unnecessary at that point. (I've exhausted every other possible portable pool alternative but requires too much money to not intend to keep anything above ground too long...)

I have 4 German Shepherds and a wussie Pit Bull... Two of my shepherds think they are a cross between a Labrador and a Malinois----so they MUST be able to swim!! If Intex would just make that top inflatable ring from some kind of thicker whitewater rafting material, we'd be SET!! :idea::-D

I am also a counselor, blessed to be able to work from home at this point in my career. So walking outside to throw some Jolly Balls into a pool for my psycho shepherds is a treat for us all. Poor dogs are using a 9ft round x 28'' poly stock tank :splash: and I can't wait to get them really swimming again. :swim:

It's a pleasure to meet you all and learn so much from all your experiences! :thumleft:

DarrelB, from what I've been reading (and reading and reading...sigh) about various types of tapes is that even heavy duty duct tape will peel off and isn't really waterproof? Then it if/when it does, I don't want the gooey residue? Looked into Gorilla clear tape, but that doesn't look like it would hold either. I have looked up pool liner tape/patches, but to get enough to cover that top ring, especially 57 linear feet of it on the 18' pool, it gets super pricey... I looked into pond liner tape/patches, but they all seem to be black or double sided. I looked into waterproof vinyl repair tape, but either I can't confirm it will stick well enough to get wet constantly, or not enough info to know. I looked into greenhouse repair tape, but reviews suggest it won't stick with that much water on/around it. And sail tape/rip stop but don't think it will stick to vinyl for sure? The Google-tracking spy peeps are probably saying, "ALRIGHT, now just PICK A FREAKIN' TAPE, WILL YA??" :hammer:

Hi zea3! I have seen some of them online, but my concern with those is that they would have to wear them all the time outside (which I seriously doubt they would be wiling to...lol) and it's SUPER hot right now, and then the moisture it would hold on their feet may not be good for them. I think they would just rip them off... :/

zea3, that is a good idea to check out. I was reading the reviews, and they said you cannot cover the dew claws, which act as their thumbs when climbing things, so I believe their dew claws would be as much a culprit as any of them to puncture the top ring.

Per one of the questions about the claw covers: "

• Staff

Thank you for your question. We would not recommend that you use the Nail Caps with dew claws, as it would be more likely to get snagged on something and risk injuring the dew claw."

Excellent idea though! Though with 5 dogs, it might be an ongoing process to keep up with! My pitbull won't even let me cut his nails on my own... :shaking::roll:

I wonder if this type of tape would work? It's cheaper than the Tear-Aid, type 2, and appears to have the qualities I need? Doesn't appear to come in a clear roll, but at least they have a white and not just a black.

Repair Tape | Mobile Home Repair

And here is another, even more descriptive link about the tape:

StickNBond - RV Roof Leak Repair Tape - By Leisure Time Marketing

Or one of these possibly??

Surface Protection Tapes Tapes Berry Plastics or.... D9200 - Patco D9200 Flame Retardant Polyurethane Waterseal Tape Moisture Barrier Tapes Tapes Berry Plastics

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! That is some craziness, must be pure insanity every time the door opens!

What about going with one of the 10' or 12' x 30" deep metal framed pools. They should be able to jump into that or maybe a single 15" step to help them in. Metal Frame - Above Ground Pools - Store - Intex The whole pool is cheaper than what you are talking about for some tape. I don't see how anything could protect that ring from 5 crazy dogs. And the whole metal frame pool is made of tougher material.

Hi pooldv. :)

What's even more insane around here is the head B-I-*-*-* dog pictured in the midst of her "Diva Dive" into the stock tank in my Avatar photo cannot be allowed to be with my other two female shepherds or she will try to EAT them... So, I crate, gate and rotate my 5 into groups of 2 sets of dogs 24/7... That much more reason to exercise them while I can when that crew is out! :swim:

Interestingly enough, I actually HAVE a 12' x 30" metal frame pool still new in the box that I got a year or more ago to try to give them more room than the 9' round Behlen poly stock tank (which is 28" deep). The stock tank is up against an unfinished deck so they can jump into it fine, but the ground isn't level underneath and someone wanted to charge me a psychotic amount of money to level the ground to set it up. And figuring that the water level is probably 24-26" actually, then my shepherds will be walking in it and not swimming in it. Of course, the deeper I go with a metal/ultra frame pool, I'm back to the need to build a deck or platform of some kind again... Since I cannot do it myself, the costs get crazy. I considered dog agility platforms and ramps to get them to the top of a metal frame on the outside and a swim platform for resting between retrieves without having to get out of the pool altogether to stop swimming, but then again, costs jump up!

The biggest benefits of the Easy Set having that top inflatable ring is that my dogs cannot hurt themselves in any way getting in or out of the pool and it gives a larger area to swim at the 18' (well, 15' inside the ring area). If I could get a tape to work and keep the costs around $200 or less, I'd do it!! And I don't exactly know for sure how much tape I'd need either... The top inflatable ring is about 8 inches in circumference, and the 18' diameter = 56.5 ft from what I could calculate. But not sure how much tape I need to be able to figure out the final cost of various tapes. Any algebra fans out there?? :drown:

And what makes things worse, is my neighbor two doors down sold their house, and the new owners GAVE AWAY their AG pool AND DECKING for FREE, and I didn't know it until it was too late... :brickwall:

(If I could just swing the $8-9k for the Medallion Freedom Pool sunk into the ground with the inground steps, we'd all be SET here....grrrrr...)

can you fence them out and away from the majority of the perimeter and train them to get in and out at one location? then you would not have to buy as much materiel, whatever you find. and maybe just some kind of rug draped and secured with weights would work...???

I suppose they could get more swim space that way with the straight walls. And it looks like Walmart still has a 18' x 48" round in stock in an Ultra Frame for about the same cost as the Metal Frame... the Ultra Frame is better, right? I think 18' round is the largest I can get and still keep the depth to 48"?

I went to a pool place a couple hours away today to look firsthand at the AGP that is also acceptable to put inground to just see it in person and if I could swing the expense right now... Well, they also happen to have two Intex Ultra Frame rectangular pools in the two sizes I have considered, the 12 x 24, and the 16 x 32. For the same reason when I mapped out the two sizes in my yard, the 16 x 32 will be the winner... I likened it to buying a flat screen tv---you can always get a bit too much, but not too small. By the time I add a resting platform of some kind and take up more of the pool space with that, and steps, I want the length especially to swim my German Shepherds with no risk of it not being enough to exercise them. "Go big or go home," I suppose. :party:

Sooooo, NOW, to confirm the best place to buy one (saw one on Amazon for $1299, I think? :deal:), to draw out the minimal requirements for decking, resting platforms and stairs for ease of dogs' and people's egress, and then get this doggie/people pool show on the road here. :swim:

Thanks for all your suggestions and patience while I ruled out the Easy Set option! Being able to see those two rectangular Intex pools set up was SO helpful and more realistic for me than any IG pool right now. I'm getting excited about it now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.