Outdoor Kitchen Build Updated!

Dec 24, 2014
Temecula, Ca
Finished up the pool, out door speakers and patio lighting finally! Yard lighting is in progress! Now is time to get this grill in before the summer is over. Im looking for advice on what all of the experts here recommend for brands of bbq? Something professional grade. Im done with contractors this is a DIY so id rather spend the extra on nice equipment that I'm saving on labor

I mostly grill, but would like to be able to do some smoking of meats time to time in the future. Going for probably a 30-36 inch grill, will be doing a sink, icy cold beverage holder, and some under the sink storage. Probably no fridge. Ill try to draw a concept soon. About a 8 foot straight counter, thinking stained poured in place concrete counters, stacked stone veneer like the yard for the walls, and it will have a raised bar area behind the cooking area for seating.

Thoughts ideas? If you could choose what you thought would be the best grill you've researched what would it be? Im going to the store and ordering this week! :D

And heres the yard, the bbq island will be over by the spa patio area (by the ac units), seating facing the house and grill out to the yard.

Re: About to start my Outdoor Kitchen! Looking for advice

I have been looking at the lion grills, medium grade pro stuff but I have not bought, just researched :)

We have Viking Professional grill, warming oven and fridge but it ain't cheap. I also have a small Cookshack SM009 stainless steel electric smoker. It's done when it's done!

I have a Big Green Egg and I LOOOOOVE IT!!! We egg-heads are passionate about our BGE's and will talk your ears off for hours about them. But I will say this, if you want a smoker, definitely get one. There is nothing more delicious than a hardwood smoked pork-butt that has been going low-n-slo for 13hrs. Dang, I'm drooling all over my phone just typing about it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The backyard looks great, and love all the stone. What does something like that cost? 75-100K?

80 total, Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for the advice! Ive seen a few of the builds with both and egg or primo and a main grill too, definitely need one for the nights you want to grill fast and easy. Maybe a midline professional and one of those would be the way to go then and I could spend the same.

About to start my Outdoor Kitchen! Looking for advice

We went low-to-mid-range on the gas grille (definitely will upgrade in the future) and high end on the XL BGE. I only use the smoker maybe 6-10 times per season but I use the gas grille a lot. However, the gas grille is for cooking burgers, dogs, chops and quick steaks like flank. Those get the blowtorch. When I want to do chicken, large cuts of meats (roasts, tri-tips, briskest and butts) and ribs, the Egg is my go-to outdoor cooker. And the smoked hardwood flavor just cannot be replicated on a gas grille.

Just the way I roll, to each his own....

We went low-to-mid-range on the gas grille (definitely will upgrade in the future) and high end on the XL BGE. I only use the smoker maybe 6-10 times per season but I use the gas grille a lot. However, the gas grille is for cooking burgers, dogs, chops and quick steaks like flank. Those get the blowtorch. When I want to do chicken, large cuts of meats (roasts, tri-tips, briskest and butts) and ribs, the Egg is my go-to outdoor cooker. And the smoked hardwood flavor just cannot be replicated on a gas grille.

Just the way I roll, to each his own....

Thanks!
I totally agree and everyone swears that you cant replicate it too looks like ill have to do both at this point unless i find out more about the echelon series fire magic :wave::stirpot:

Does anyone on here own a fire magic echelon series?? They have an area for wood chips to smoke and slow roast its 18.5” long wood chip smoker box dedicated for the grill with 3,000 BTU’s dedicated burner to start the chips. Im wondering if this is just for a smoked flavor or for actual smoking? Theres no way I can do their separate smoker its almost 4k alone :hammer:

http://www.rhpeterson.com/images3/catalogs/firemagic_catalog_2015_web.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So in the end I ordered everything a few days ago, should be here tomorrow!

Went with the Echelon Series Fire Magic 790i with the magic view window and digital meat thermometer/tempgauge

A cool in counter ice chest by fire magic

The Fire magic 15x15 bar sink

got a cool 16x10 charcoal tray to try out for smoking in the grill, i know its no smoker but we shall see what we can do :)

For the access doors I went with all Del Sol outdoor products doors, 304 stainless steel and top notch quality for much cheaper then Fire Magics doors

17" access door
17" paper towel holder + 2 storage drawers
20" Trash drawer

3- 3x7 vents for the grill

Called it good at that and already spent way more then intended, like double, but I could resist spending the extra for a top notch grill that should last me as long as were here. Not to mention it was 30% off of MSRP so that pushed me over to buying it.

Its going to be a 10ft x 3-3.5 foot island with a raised bar behind the main counter! Off to buy steel studs from Home Depot today to start the framing process and get the special counter concrete ordered! Hopefully ill have pics soon! Pouring concrete for for the base today too!

So biggest question for all of you that have used steel studs for your framing? They seem very flimsy and are only half a 2x4 did you double them to make a whole stud or rely on the the strength of the steel? And did you rivet, screw or weld your frame?

I found these at lowes which seem the best
Shop Dietrich Metal Framing 3.625-in W x 10-ft L x 10-ft D Galvanized Steel Metal Stud at Lowes.com

and these are home depots selection
Drywall Steel Studs The Home Depot

I guess I pictured more of a steel 2x4 like in lowes page that I can attach with L brackets and screws. Thoughts?

Re: Need help on steel stud info- Thanks!

From what I have read the studs at Lowe's and HD are 25 gauge metal, which although flimsy on their own, when part of a system (hardi) are extremely solid. Most people on this and other forums use them all the time. There is a smaller group of people that buy thicker components (gauge 22 or 20) at dry walling specialty stores, most of the time slightly more or at about the same price for those at HD/lowes at lower gauge.

If you like to over-design things, then higher gauge is better. I am actually debating which ones to use as well on my ODK build.

Also although counter intuitive more thickness/more metal means an actually lower gauge number (just like electrical wiring)

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also you can get metal studs with the same dimensions than regular lumber 2x4, etc.

Re: Need help on steel stud info- Thanks!

From what I have read the studs at Lowe's and HD are 25 gauge metal, which although flimsy on their own, when part of a system (hardi) are extremely solid. Most people on this and other forums use them all the time. There is a smaller group of people that buy thicker components (gauge 22 or 20) at dry walling specialty stores, most of the time slightly more or at about the same price for those at HD/lowes at lower gauge.

If you like to over-design things, then higher gauge is better. I am actually debating which ones to use as well on my ODK build.

Also although counter intuitive more thickness/more metal means an actually lower gauge number (just like electrical wiring)

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also you can get metal studs with the same dimensions than regular lumber 2x4, etc.

Thanks! I'm going to look at the specialty stores, if for sure prefer the 2x4 solid construction steel stud vs those films 25g things. Especially with the weight of the concrete. The ones at lowes are 20g so I'm going to check those out if i can't find anything else that seems to be the best so far!

Were making progress this week! Had a birthday :rockon: so I lost a days work to golf and the pool, but I'm hoping by my daughters bday the 19th of august we will have at least he concrete counters for the frame poured, frame complete and equipment in so we can grill!

Concrete total so far (30- 80#bags) of the quickrete professional 5000 for the pad pour, hand mixed! Its recessed down from 1/2 inch below the surface for the first 34 inches from by the pool to 1 - 1 1/2 for remainder to the ac units, first time troughling and thankfully it doesn't need to be pretty. A good warm up for the counters I guess! The bbq stone work that will match the other stone on the patio for the walls and the ground stoner for in front of the bbq pad.

Gas is stubbed, two drains for the cold water sink and beverage cooler unit, and initial electrical is there! Going to pull two more up to the backsplash

The pour (10ft 4 inch area by 7ft 4 inch area)

We have equipment here! All but the vents for below the raised bar counter!

I have a Big Green Egg and I LOOOOOVE IT!!! We egg-heads are passionate about our BGE's and will talk your ears off for hours about them. But I will say this, if you want a smoker, definitely get one. There is nothing more delicious than a hardwood smoked pork-butt that has been going low-n-slo for 13hrs. Dang, I'm drooling all over my phone just typing about it.....

Everytime I read this post I'm hungary!!

my budget is maxed but down the road I'm thinking a primo or bqe between the ac units :)

Everytime I read this post I'm hungary!!

my budget is maxed but down the road I'm thinking a primo or bqe between the ac units :)

I know!! I stopped reading the Outdoor Kitchen forum because I gained 5lbs every time someone posted a new kitchen build thread :D

Progress Underway! Got about 75 % of the framing done, all thats left is the raised bar counter and its ready to go out to the outside and get backer boarded up! Did all this in one day no plans with a few learning points (a frustrated moments:rambo:) along the way, but everything fits!

Ended up using the 25g steel studs from home depot, they are super solid once you get it going together and easy to work with, it was a little challenging to get it all level together but in the end the coounters are what its all sitting on so it will not be the end of the world as It all gets fixed there, its already strong enough to support everything i want, i probably way over built the frame but it was only 144$ including the screws, studs, and tin snips. not to shabby! I will need extra supports for the counter over hang studs etc, i think all in all it will be less then 300 for the materials!

Remembering to take off measurements for the backboard, mortar and stone for the grill and cooler to sit flush was the hardest part thus far

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.