Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's so special about pool hoses?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

What's so special about pool hoses?

What makes up a quality 1-1/2" pool hose?

I picked up this 1-1/2" X 25' flex hose for my sump pump for $10.50, significantly less than the same size "pool filter" hose. The hose is not thin at all, and seems well made.

I was thinking of using this same hose to hook up my solar panels.

What do you think?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's so special about pool hoses?

Everything that has "pool" on the label is marked up 300% just because, it seems. Similar to the TA Increaser 5000X at the pool store that's just plain baking soda. If it works for you, perfect!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

The only thing I can think of is the chemicals in the water combined with the sunlight degrading the plastic over time.
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Good point about the "chemicals"- hard to think of BBB as "chemicals" LOL.

I totally agree about the price markup, rediculous, but the "sheeple" paying those prices share some of that blame as well.

I'll be draining the solar system and storing it all in the heated basement over winter.

Thanks for the points of view!

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!