First timer, first pool, first week.

Ok. ill try this again.

I dont get any suction on my skimmer, not sure whan im doing wrong, if i stuck a tennis ball on the back hole ( 2 hole skimmer) and pull if out when turning the pump on, i get suction, but only if i do that. what seems to be the problem here?

any tips would help.

Thank you !

do you have a valve in front of your pump to switch between the skimmer and main drain? is it turned to mostly be on the main drain and you are just getting very little suction in the skimmer because of this?? a tiny little bit of suction would be enough to hold the tennis ball, but not really skim. pictures would help

OMG, guys . Let me first start by saying sorry, but the forum showed 0 answer for the first post. that said. let me continue on this one. (my bad guys).

When trying to check with the skimmer i totally shut the main drain in order to have "full power?" in the skimmer. it just, never really starts, only if i force it with the tennis ball. if i do that and then pull it off right away it will start working perfectly (like really pulling watter from the pool etc. )

No, i dont see any bubbles on it and the return holes (sorry, dont know their name) they dont make bubbles in the water. Not sure if theres somewhere else i should look. And as i said, if i force it with the tennis ball it will start sucking water like a champ. maybe its a problem with the skimmer valve? i read something online about it. not sure where to exactly verify.

So, to be clear:
- No air bubbles in the pump basket that has the clear lid (FULL of water)
- Return jets have no air bubbles going back to the pool

If those two things are true, then you must be pulling water from somewhere to keep the pump full (primed); maybe most of the water is being pulled from your main drain?
- Do you have any valves just before the pump basket and before the pump? Can you post a picture of that pump area?
- Does your skimmer have the weir in-place? It's that flap at the opening of the skimmer that allows water to enter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm honestly still stumped on your issue. Here's what I can tell from your thread:
- Skimmer only pulls water if you plug one hole with a tennis ball then pull it off
- Skimmer basket is full of water since it pulls water from the main drain
- No air under clear basket lid or return jets

The only thing that seems remotely practical would be:
- A valve before the pump basket that allows you to adjust water flow from main drain and skimmer
- Maybe something got sucked into your skimmer line effecting flow?

Maybe confirm those two things for us as well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.