Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I run my pool pump 24 hrs\day?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I run my pool pump 24 hrs\day?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a house with a 33,000 gallon in-ground pool. I've been using it for a month, and it's been great. The previous owner told me that he ran the pump 24 hours a day because he found that it kept the pool cleaner, and the pool required fewer chemicals. I have been doing this since I've had the pool. I am wondering, is it really necessary? How many hours a day do you run your pump? Am I just wasting energy running my pump all the time?

Thanks,
    Anita

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I run my pool pump 24 hrs\day?

Hi Anita! Every pool is different based on factors that range anywhere from swimmer's load to amount of trees in the area. Some folks run their pump 4-6 hours total, others longer. But here's a page from TFP that speaks bout this issue specifically: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time. Take a peek and let us know if you still have questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, pump time has very little if anything to do with the amount of chlorine needed. Check out the following article in Pool School as 24/7 is,just wasting energy and money.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello and welcome to TFP!

No, it's probably not necessary. You need to determine how many gallons per minute your pump will circulate through your filter. Once you determine that, then you can calculate how long your pump should run to circulate your pool.

Also, I recommend you put all of your pool information in your signature. It really helps others when they try to help answer your questions.
    -25,000 gal. freeform gunite, smooth quartz finish w/ spa
    -2 hp Jandy Pro Series Stealth; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter (CV340)
    -Jandy Pro Series AquaPure Chlorinator; Jandy Pro Series JXi Heater
    -Zodiac MX8 cleaner; Taylor K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

is your pump a two speed or variable speed pump? that's important to know.

you only need to run your pump long enough to have proper chlorination and to remove dirt/etc from the pool to your expectations. some people here run there pumps for 4 hours, some 24. I run my 6 hours right now and its plenty. there should be no reason you HAVE to run 24 hours. if you have a variable speed pump on low, then running 24 hours is no big deal because its not costing much. running a single speed pump all day is gonna get expensive.

so tell us about your pump and how your pool is chlorinated (i.e. saltwater system, liquid chlorine, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tackettaj View Post
    Hello and welcome to TFP!

No, it's probably not necessary. You need to determine how many gallons per minute your pump will circulate through your filter. Once you determine that, then you can calculate how long your pump should run to circulate your pool. .
    don't need to calculate your gpm of your pump, that's kinda old school/pool store stuff.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Yes, pump time has very little if anything to do with the amount of chlorine needed. Check out the following article in Pool School as 24/7 is,just wasting energy and money.

Thanks for this link. Great information...learn something new every day!
    -25,000 gal. freeform gunite, smooth quartz finish w/ spa
    -2 hp Jandy Pro Series Stealth; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter (CV340)
    -Jandy Pro Series AquaPure Chlorinator; Jandy Pro Series JXi Heater
    -Zodiac MX8 cleaner; Taylor K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post

couldn't find that link, thanks!
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

8. Back To Top    #8

I run mine for 6 hours, 4 in the am, 2 in the afternoon/evening.
    12k in ground, 14x28 sports pool, concrete/plaster/diamond brite, uncovered
    Waterway 1.5hp pump, waterway 150sqft cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, on city water, Zodiac MX8