Confused newbie-please help

Jul 21, 2015
Oakland, TN
I've been checking out the forums for a while now but I've read so much that now I'm confused ?. We replaced a Summer Escapes 10x30 pool with an Intex Ultra Frame 14x42 pool, with no additional upgrades. My pool is starting to look a little cloudy, and I think it's mustard algae. I started out shocking the pool with Clorox Pool & Spa Xtra Blue. I've used about 1 1/2 lbs. so far but didn't use it all at once. As of right now, I have no chlorine in the pool. I purchased a 5 way test kit from Ace Hardware but I don't think it's accurate(doesn't test for CYA) so I took a sample to the pool store. These are the readings that they gave me:

FC 0
CC .12
TC .12
CYA 15
PH 7.7
Alkalinity 101

I know I need to shock but I'm not sure how much bleach(8.25%) to use. My daughter's birthday party is Saturday so I'm on a VERY low budget. I know my CYA is low, but can I still shock the pool with bleach and add CYA once the pool is clear? Also, should I lower my PH before I shock? Thanks in advance. I have so much going on this week and I'm pretty much doing everything by myself so please help!

Hello and welcome! We can help. Will it be perfect by Saturday .. hummm... hard to tell. But we'll give you the tools. Ready? Here we go:
- Cloudy water means you need to "SLAM" per Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Read that page very carefully.
- You can add more stabilizer now (and should). You need a target of at least 30 ppm. The Poolmath calculator can help you there. Do it now.
- Before you SLAM and raise the FC level with bleach, lower your PH with muriatic acid, again using Poolmath calculator . You want to be close to 7.2 for PH
- - After the acid has mixed for at least 30 min with pump on, re-check. Once PH is 7.2, begin a SLAM.
- You CYA won't increase right away, so I would use the FC of 10 for now that matches a CYA of 20 based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.

Once you are in SLAM mode, there's no need to check anything other than FC constantly to ensure you FC remains at 10 or slightly above. Never lower. You need to “Maintain” it that way until 3 objectives are met:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

In summary,
1 - Lower PH to 7.2
2 - Get stabilizer in pool for a target of 30 ppm
3 - Start your SLAM

If you have any more questions, let us know. Good luck, and welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI - You can get granular stabilizer at Wal-Mart; 4 lb container for about $15; Lowe's and Home Depot also have stabilizer a.k.a. conditioner. Use the sock method near a return jet to soak and disperse. Use regular "generic" bleach to maintain the FC level. Nothing fancy, no scents or anything. Just plain regular bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Next time you get a chance, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. :)

If I found the correct pool on Amazon, yours holds about 3,400 gallons. You will need to know how much it holds to use the Pool Math tool. Assuming I'm correct you will need to add 15 oz of 8.25% bleach to raise the FC level by 3 points. The CYA chart shows your Shock level at 10 points. Use these examples as you read the information that was posted previously. It will help you get a handle on what you need to do.

You should also invest in a better test kit when finances permit. The time you take to read the information on this site will save you money in the long run.

Yes, The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

You can find them at TFTestkits.net.

I signed up on my phone so it wouldn't let me add anything in my signature. So I just went to the full site link and added my pool info &#55357;&#56841;. I added the granular CYA last night, in a knee high sock, and the sock was empty this morning. Is that normal? I also added 50 oz. bleach(per calculator) but didn't have a chance to recheck anything until this morning. It's still somewhat cloudy and FC is 4. It also rained last night, so will that affect anything? I added more bleach so I'll check again in an hour. My test kit only goes up to 3(chlorine) but I have a tube from an older test kit that goes up to 5. I know I need a better test kit but this is all I have to work with for now &#55357;&#56841;.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.