New Pool in Virginia

hokiemo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
roanoke, va
After several years of going back and forth, we are finally getting a pool! The dig starts on 7/29/15. I can not tell you how appreciative I am for all the information I learned on TFP. I have "stalked" so many new builds and have enjoyed all the pictures. I became a supporter today and will be ordering my TF100. As I have learned from reading so many post, testing is so important and so is having the right test kit.

We don't have the yard to "go big" so we are going with a 12X24 radiant pool that will be fully inground. Would love to hear any feedback from anyone with a radiant pool. Will be sure to post plenty of pics. Thanks again to everyone at TFP!!!

Agreed on getting specifics in writing....fortunately our PB has been great to work with but in hindsight I would have insisted on specific models of equipment being listed on contract. All it said was SWG or variable speed pump or sand filter with no specifics to brand, model or size. Some of the equipment is marginally sized IMO but so far so good. Had I to do it over again I may have insisted on a larger SWG.

My "secret" is that it is a very rural area. I interned there and they hired me for the next school year. I have always been in Kindergarten at this same school the whole 30 years. I have taught MANY of my first kid's kids! I tend to teach whole families! I have had Moms bring their newborns by the school on the way home to intro them to their Kindergarten teacher! LOL I am almost on one of a family where I taught all of the "parents" and am now working my way through their kids! The last little one should start next school year. They say I am "allowed" to retire after her! LOL

I do have to say I sleep REAL good most nights! LOL

Kim

After several years of going back and forth, we are finally getting a pool! The dig starts on 7/29/15. I can not tell you how appreciative I am for all the information I learned on TFP. I have "stalked" so many new builds and have enjoyed all the pictures. I became a supporter today and will be ordering my TF100. As I have learned from reading so many post, testing is so important and so is having the right test kit.

We don't have the yard to "go big" so we are going with a 12X24 radiant pool that will be fully inground. Would love to hear any feedback from anyone with a radiant pool. Will be sure to post plenty of pics. Thanks again to everyone at TFP!!!

I would recommend that you post a full list of equipment/specs on the pool and ask for input. PBs tend to add on a few things you don't need, and removing them will save you money, while other things are more important things, especially for the TFP method are left off. I would try and get input from other people's lessons learned.

for example, you said you are getting a Hayward SWCG - which size are you getting? if they are spec'ing a T-3 cell, its too small. T-9 minimum and T-15 even better for the limited cost increase.

the pump you are getting, is it a two speed or variable speed pump?

size of piping, number of returns/skimmer/etc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the common lesson learned I have seen so far is to make sure any changes you have made from the original design are on the copy the people in the field have.

that's a very important comment. seems to happen a lot with pools, and in general in construction. you should also try and be onsite as much as you can, reviewing the plans and work progress and asking lots of questions. Also, providing some drinks and snacks to the workers can go a long way as well. its amazing what some appreciation can do. if you get to talking with them, you will be amazed at how many jerks they do work for, so when someone is nice the odds of getting a better product go up, its only human nature

That set you back some coin! Your yard is very open now!

Kim

Getting that Oak removed was a process. Would you believe that I called 5 tree companies and only 2 called me back? I have had trees removed at a previous house, so I had a good idea what it would cost. Believe it or not, we found a company to remove for $1,100, which I thought was very reasonable.

I found a guy who said he was a "HandyMan" with insurance and licensed in xyz. He is no longer taking new customers he is so busy! He will come out with his bobcat and truck. He is CHEAP and loves to climb trees! LOL He has even put me in the truck when his kid could not be there on the day we had set up "I can come if you can drive the truck" LOL He puts the "OH Adult word" rope on the truck to make sure it falls AWAY from the buildings. Of course the tree fell RIGHT where he said ti would but it was neat that he let me help!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.