Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool in Virginia

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool in Virginia

After several years of going back and forth, we are finally getting a pool! The dig starts on 7/29/15. I can not tell you how appreciative I am for all the information I learned on TFP. I have "stalked" so many new builds and have enjoyed all the pictures. I became a supporter today and will be ordering my TF100. As I have learned from reading so many post, testing is so important and so is having the right test kit.

We don't have the yard to "go big" so we are going with a 12X24 radiant pool that will be fully inground. Would love to hear any feedback from anyone with a radiant pool. Will be sure to post plenty of pics. Thanks again to everyone at TFP!!!
    12x24 radiant metric vinyl pool (fully in-ground) - Pentair Superflow 3/4 HP pump - Pentair SD40 sand filter - Hayward aquatrol SWG - 8,600 gallons - 4ft throughout

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool in Virginia

I think the common lesson learned I have seen so far is to make sure any changes you have made from the original design are on the copy the people in the field have.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

3. Back To Top    #3

Be there for EVERY big happening-dig, putting in, etc. BE THERE!

Get everything writing-down to model numbers. Not just XY brand of pump but what model.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed on getting specifics in writing....fortunately our PB has been great to work with but in hindsight I would have insisted on specific models of equipment being listed on contract. All it said was SWG or variable speed pump or sand filter with no specifics to brand, model or size. Some of the equipment is marginally sized IMO but so far so good. Had I to do it over again I may have insisted on a larger SWG.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback. My wife is a teacher and has the summer off, so she is planning on being there during the build.
    12x24 radiant metric vinyl pool (fully in-ground) - Pentair Superflow 3/4 HP pump - Pentair SD40 sand filter - Hayward aquatrol SWG - 8,600 gallons - 4ft throughout

6. Back To Top    #6

I am a teacher also. Kindergarten for 30 years. I have 5 more years left.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

And take lots of pictures!! for you and for us!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Kim,
    Mad respect for 30 years of teaching!! My wife is starting her 18th year. I don't think she will make it 35 years like you.

9. Back To Top    #9

My "secret" is that it is a very rural area. I interned there and they hired me for the next school year. I have always been in Kindergarten at this same school the whole 30 years. I have taught MANY of my first kid's kids! I tend to teach whole families! I have had Moms bring their newborns by the school on the way home to intro them to their Kindergarten teacher! LOL I am almost on one of a family where I taught all of the "parents" and am now working my way through their kids! The last little one should start next school year. They say I am "allowed" to retire after her! LOL

I do have to say I sleep REAL good most nights! LOL

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by hokiemo View Post
    After several years of going back and forth, we are finally getting a pool! The dig starts on 7/29/15. I can not tell you how appreciative I am for all the information I learned on TFP. I have "stalked" so many new builds and have enjoyed all the pictures. I became a supporter today and will be ordering my TF100. As I have learned from reading so many post, testing is so important and so is having the right test kit.

We don't have the yard to "go big" so we are going with a 12X24 radiant pool that will be fully inground. Would love to hear any feedback from anyone with a radiant pool. Will be sure to post plenty of pics. Thanks again to everyone at TFP!!!
    I would recommend that you post a full list of equipment/specs on the pool and ask for input. PBs tend to add on a few things you don't need, and removing them will save you money, while other things are more important things, especially for the TFP method are left off. I would try and get input from other people's lessons learned.

for example, you said you are getting a Hayward SWCG - which size are you getting? if they are spec'ing a T-3 cell, its too small. T-9 minimum and T-15 even better for the limited cost increase.

the pump you are getting, is it a two speed or variable speed pump?

size of piping, number of returns/skimmer/etc?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I think the common lesson learned I have seen so far is to make sure any changes you have made from the original design are on the copy the people in the field have.
    that's a very important comment. seems to happen a lot with pools, and in general in construction. you should also try and be onsite as much as you can, reviewing the plans and work progress and asking lots of questions. Also, providing some drinks and snacks to the workers can go a long way as well. its amazing what some appreciation can do. if you get to talking with them, you will be amazed at how many jerks they do work for, so when someone is nice the odds of getting a better product go up, its only human nature
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

I really appreciate all the advice. You guys are awesome

13. Back To Top    #13

Subscribed. Take lots of pics!!
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

14. Back To Top    #14

Had a 90 foot Oak Tree removed this week. Still have a lot of trees in the backyard, but now we will have full sun from 8am-4pm.
    .Pool 1.JPG

15. Back To Top    #15

That set you back some coin! Your yard is very open now!

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    That set you back some coin! Your yard is very open now!

Kim
    Getting that Oak removed was a process. Would you believe that I called 5 tree companies and only 2 called me back? I have had trees removed at a previous house, so I had a good idea what it would cost. Believe it or not, we found a company to remove for $1,100, which I thought was very reasonable.

17. Back To Top    #17

2 out of 5 is about par for around here! I call 7 hoping 4 will call and 2 will show LOL

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    2 out of 5 is about par for around here! I call 7 hoping 4 will call and 2 will show LOL

Kim
    I had to get rid of a smaller oak tree, just one. called about 10-12 places. got one call back and he was annoyed since it was just one. said $600 and I ended up just doing it myself.
    Dan

19. Back To Top    #19

I found a guy who said he was a "HandyMan" with insurance and licensed in xyz. He is no longer taking new customers he is so busy! He will come out with his bobcat and truck. He is CHEAP and loves to climb trees! LOL He has even put me in the truck when his kid could not be there on the day we had set up "I can come if you can drive the truck" LOL He puts the "OH Adult word" rope on the truck to make sure it falls AWAY from the buildings. Of course the tree fell RIGHT where he said ti would but it was neat that he let me help!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Super excited..got my TF-100 yesterday!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast