Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool and loving it.

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool and loving it.

First time pool owner and I have to say thanks to this awesome site. I have been reading everyday for 2 weeks now. With a pregnant wife, she is always hot and our lovely Florida weather is not helping lol. So we got a 15'x48" Intex from Wally world on rollback for $199. We made a spot for it and we set it up 2 weeks ago. We have been swimming almost everyday since then. A couple days after we set it up we installed a Intex SWG and yesterday we installed a Intex 2800 gph sandfilter (Im super excited about not buying filters.) We also bought the Confer 7200 ladder because the one that came with the pool was going to collapse under me in any second (the ladder was as much as the pool...) So far the pool is running great. Water is crystal clear. I have some sediment on the bottom but hopefully the new filter will stir it up. Unfortunately the pool looks like it is settling on one side and its sunk about 1". If it moves any further, I'm going to drain it and re set it up. I didn't use any pavers and it looks like the feet are sinking more and more.

The pool came with two drains and one outlet. Next thing for the pool will be cutting the vinyl so I can use the 1 1/2" strainers. The wife is not to sure about me with a Xacto knife around the pool lol. I also need a vacuum, I keep coming up empty handed so many mixed reviews. I will need one since the half the pool is under some trees and leaves are constantly falling, and since we are swimming everyday the cover seems like so much work to take it off everyday.

Thanks again for all the great info on the site.

20150720_194112.jpg20150720_194503.jpg
    Intex 15'x48", Intex 2800gph Sand filter, Intex SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool and loving it.

Welcome!

You can find modifications on intex in this forum. You almost have to cut the liner to be able to vac the pool. As for the sinking post... They will continue to sink, unfortunately. The post need pavers to set on to distribute the weight evenly.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah it looks like I will need to take it down a re set it up. I ordered the bigger drains so I can get cutting soon.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same ladder. Love it. Is yours stable? I had to fasten it to my frame with some bungee cords. It worked great.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by aboykin2269 View Post
    I have the same ladder. Love it. Is yours stable? I had to fasten it to my frame with some bungee cords. It worked great.
    I have that ladder too and love it. Once I buried a portion of it to make it level, it has been awesome for 2+ years. I would definitely purchase it again.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

I love the ladder as well, big difference to the one that came with the pool. We use the Pool Blaster Catfish to vacuum the pool and it has been working fine. Our pool is by an oak tree so leaves fall in the pool a lot and sink to the bottom, but the vacuum can pick them up easily. We plan to upgrade to a permanent above ground pool soon and at that time will probably try one of the robotic vacuums but for now this one works just fine.
    AGP 33' x 54" Lomart Verona, Approx. 27,300 gallons, Pentair cartridge filter/pump 2-speed, 1.5 hp, Dolphin Escape robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

So glad you and your wife are having fun!

You DO NOT need to cut or modify your pool to vacuum it! Order this:
    Amazon.com : Intex Pool Maintentance Kit - Deluxe Edition : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
    and get yourself a universal pole from Walmart, Lowes, or an online retailer of your choice.

Your new sand filter has plenty of flow to power the little Intex vacuum. I've been using ours for 2 seasons and I'm very happy with it. I have a spotless pool - the spring required a lot of maintenance, but we're coasting now. I brush a couple times a week and vacuum every other week.

Love the ladder too - we just bought the same one and I wish we bought it last year!
    Intex UltraFrame 18'x48" - 6700 gal as filled
    Intex Sand Filter Pump 2650 gph SF70110
    Intex SWG CS8110 (copper electrode removed)
    Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX
    TF100 Test Kit from Day 1!

8. Back To Top    #8

The ladder is not very stable, I tied it down for right now with rope. I was thinking of putting 2 stakes going along each side of it. I will try the bungee's for now. I think we are going to re set it up. But I have a wedding today and it's getting in the way of my swimming time. So hopefully next week we will tear it down. Put pavers down, the wife wants pea gravel around the bottom and large stepping stones at the ladder. But she has to wait till it is nice and even again. As far as the vacuuming goes its my job at the moment to jump in the pool and scoop up all the stuff up before she comes in lol. I was looking at the Skooba Vac, but we will see when that time comes. I can handle another week or 2 of manually cleaning it. My nephews think they are important when I send them down to scoop the leaves out with the fish net. Make them work before they can play around in the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am too tired to read all the responses but I will say this at the risk of being redundant. A solar cover will help your pool retain more heat overnight. I cut mine into strips, which makes it easier to deal with. Wanda the Whale and others in the group get good reviews. I had the Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark and it worked great. I bought it because there were no mechanical parts that might break.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

Your support legs may not continue to sink, just keep an eye on them. If so, then you will have to put some pads under them. Regarding the vacuum, I made an adapter from a PVC end cap that was the right size to screw onto my strainer, just drilled a hole with a hole saw to slip the vacuum hose into it. Works great!
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.