Practical FC target when adding chlorine?

Jul 20, 2015
Attleboro, MA
I'm new to the TFPC method (and pools in general), but have learned a lot already on the theory behind it on this website.

Now to some practical questions.

When looking at the Chlorine/CYA Chart, for my CYA level of 50 ppm...

(1) When should I add chlorine to the pool (liquid chlorine, 12.5% on label)? I'm assuming once FC gets below the minimum of 4 ppm for my case, correct?

(2) When adding chlorine, should I shoot for the "target" of 6 ppm, or shoot higher so I wouldn't have to do it so often? I'm losing ~1 ppm per day on average (I use the TF-100 kit).

Note: I am talking about simply keeping the FC levels up, not shocking the pool because of algae or high CC levels.

I know the following makes sense:

Add chlorine when FC is below the minimum so that it reaches the target FC.

But was hoping for any tips/tricks from some seasoned veterans, such as overshooting the FC by a certain amount of ppm so I wouldn't need to chlorinate so often. In my case, I'd be adding chlorine every two days if I followed the simple rule, above. Maybe that's normal for the TFPC method with liquid chlorine?

The real idea is to never let it get down to minimum. Shoot for target or a little more and try to keep it at target.

- - - Updated - - -

most folks add a little chlorine everyday. think of your pool like a pet. it needs a little attention each day to remain healthy.

I add enough so that it falls down to the target level by the time I add some more. That way if I forget a day or something it only falls to the minimum. After a while you learn you can just blindly throw in a certain amount a day. For me it's 32 oz. of 12.5%.

OK. Thanks. I'll try to keep a day or two above target to be sure. In my case, it will be ~8 ppm.

Follow-up question: what is an unsafe FC level for a CYA level of 50 ppm? I'm unsure if this needs to be a new thread, but this seems applicable since overshooting the target is a common thing.

It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA. The goal should be to add enough chlorine so that the next time you plan to test and add more the FC level will still be at or slightly above target level. It is always better to have a few ppm more FC than a little less.

Welcome to TFP!

As everyone have explained just never below your minimum. The target is a ballpark point to shoot for, but your specific conditions may require changes. A pool in full sun in AZ may require the target to be a little higher, a shaded pool in Maine might get away with a little less. Even then, a week of overcast days may reduce your need, a hot sunny spell may increase it.

It's all,part of learning your pools appetite for chlorine and satisfying it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.