Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing electrical

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing electrical

Hello. I have a new pool and I need to speak to electrician tomorrow. I know I need a GFCI 110V 20 amp dedicated outlet mounted on pole with a weatherproof cover and maybe twist lock plug. What else is important to specify so I can get an accurate quote. Our electrical panel pole is about 100 ft away from the pump. Also what electrical supplies do I need to purchase in order for the job to be done completely. My pump is a waterway 1hp 19" model. Thank you for any ideas or help!!
    AG 18x52 Steel Sandstone 1hp waterway sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing electrical

If you don't ever plan on adding anything to the pool that will need electricity, then you need at least two dedicated circuits. One for the pump and one convenience receptacle. The electrician should be aware of that and should quote appropriately. They can give you a list of all the parts you'll need if you don't want them supplying them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We have a shop about 100 feet away from pool with electrical outlets. Is the additional gfci convenience outlet necessary?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Nia View Post
    We have a shop about 100 feet away from pool with electrical outlets. Is the additional gfci convenience outlet necessary?
    Only if you want to plug things in near the pool, like a radio. If the electrician is going to dig a trench an run power for the filter running another line won't be much more money. Also you should think about lighting around the pool area.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I will discuss that option with the electrician.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

think of everything you cant think of because in 10 years you may want something else wired in out there and now you need to do another run.. I went with 60 amp 240v and from my hot tub install I know it will run a 6kw heater and 2, 2hp motors on high plus other 120v acc pluged in..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have to meet code where you are, a convenience receptacle is required between 6' and 20' of the pool edge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    think of everything you cant think of because in 10 years you may want something else wired in out there and now you need to do another run.. I went with 60 amp 240v and from my hot tub install I know it will run a 6kw heater and 2, 2hp motors on high plus other 120v acc pluged in..
    True, we may want the heating option in winter, lights, etc..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    If you have to meet code where you are, a convenience receptacle is required between 6' and 20' of the pool edge.
    We live pretty rural but I will do that just in case! Thanks again. We are just loving the pool right now. Finding out about biting bugs though

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Keep in mind that most electrical inspectors consider a pool a separate structure so all NEC codes for running power to a separate structure need to be followed. Any competent electrician should know these codes.

The twist lock plug/receptacle is only required for plug/cord connected pump.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't forget a timer.
    - 8'x15'x52" Cameo AGP (Manuf. by Wilbar)
    - 1HP Pentair Optiflo w/ CC100 cartridge filter
    - Confer Step 1 w/ 8000 ladder

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh yes, I did forget. Thanks! Picking up supplies tomorrow.