yellow orange algae after SLAM

ILM

Feb 4, 2015
wilmington, nc
I slammed my pool a few weeks ago with liquid bleach and using the CYA chart and passed the overnight chlorine test. This cleared the water and my FC is still 10. However, a yellow-orange algae has reappeared. Do i need to slam again? The chlorine level has not been below 8 since the last slam.

Do you know of any useful purpose for all these empty chlorine bottles?

Current readings;
FC = 10
CC = .5
PH = 7.6
TA = 80
CH = 50
CYA = 70

Hello again! It certainly is possible that the algae has returned. A yellow-orange color is interesting. Please take a look at this page Pool School - Mustard Algae to see if it matches what you are going through. If so, it's very possible that you need to do another SLAM, then follow-up with a 24-peiod at Mustard algae SLAM level. That's assuming it's just algae, and nothing else has been introduced to the water like well water, algaecides, etc.

Let us know how it works out.

Interesting you mentioned well water. earlier in the year I had a leak and filled about 20% of the pool with well water. The water immediately, like within one hour, turned green. I had the water checked at the pool store (this was prior to TFP) was told I had very high Iron and copper levels. What I think is algae is more of a copper color and always appears in a very specific area. more thoughts?

Metals n water can be a bit tricky. Iron for example, once you've added chlorine, it oxidizes and forms iron oxides. Then the approach is to physically remove these precipitates either through vacuum-to-waste, through sweeping to get to the filter (or to skimmer socks or batting material like paper towels) and then you'll be left over with a smaller amount of iron in the water. At that point you can either use a metal sequestrant or physically remove it with something like Metal Free that tries to capture and precipitate more into the filter. Folks who use well water learn how to manage their pool in such a manner. Copper can have its own effects as well, but either way a sequestrant will be required.

I know you said you SLAMmed a few weeks ago, but if you have any doubt that at any time your FC may have dropped allowing algae to return, you certainly can SLAM again, or at least bring the FC up enough to do an OCLT. If that all passes, then you may have to try the sequestrant route.

- - - Updated - - -

Please read this thread: Copper or Algae or Both? Green water after shocking pool and. Good info that may apply to you as well.

- - - Updated - - -

This one too: pool turned orange overnight

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.