Another borate question(s)

midijamm

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2015
Marathon fl
If borates lower chlorine usage as stated in the "So you want to add borates" article, how does one determine this decrease? Pool math gives the same demand results with or without Borates added. Do borates prevent loss? Is there a table somewhere I am not aware that outlines a new FC requirement with borates added?

Next Question...

Can I add borates gradually? For instance two or three boxes each time I go grocery shopping and correct PH as I go?

TIA

If borates lower chlorine usage as stated in the "So you want to add borates" article, how does one determine this decrease? Pool math gives the same demand results with or without Borates added. Do borates prevent loss? Is there a table somewhere I am not aware that outlines a new FC requirement with borates added?

Next Question...

Can I add borates gradually? For instance two or three boxes each time I go grocery shopping and correct PH as I go?

TIA

Where does is say Borates reduce FC consumption?

Ok, see the new article, and notice there isn't a chart for how much FC reduction you'll see anywhere on the forum. You'll notice he didn't write it in the new article. He can speak to that, but don't add Borates to gain a FC loss reduction. It can through a inhibition of Algae growth which will reduce load on Chlorine, but this will vary WILDLY in individual pools. If you gain a benefit in this way, just consider it a bonus, but don't count on it absolutely.

50 ppm Borates are a mild algaecide so in theory would let you target a somewhat lower FC/CYA ratio and that is where you would normally get the chlorine savings. However, actual algae growth rates vary especially based on algae nutrient (phosphate and nitrate) level. You generally should not be adding 50 ppm Borates for algae control or to have a lower FC/CYA level. You add 50 ppm Borates for the additional pH buffering, especially for SWG pools where it also helps reduce scaling in the salt cell, and perhaps you add it for some extra sparkle due to reducing the surface tension of the water.

If you really wanted to lower your FC/CYA level to lower chlorine consumption, then there are other ways of preventing algae growth, also at extra cost (the borates aren't free either) and that would be use of weekly Polyquat 60 algaecide or use of a phosphate remover. The specifics for costs especially for a phosphate remover are complicated because they depend on initial phosphate levels, whether there are phosphates in the fill water, the amount of evaporation and refill, blown-in fertilizer, use of phosphate-based (e.g. HEDP) metal sequestrants, etc. So the simpler approach is to not worry about phosphates at all and to instead have an FC/CYA ratio that prevents algae growth regardless of algae nutrient level. That is what the Chlorine / CYA Chart is set to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.