Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another borate question(s)

1. Back To Top    #1

Another borate question(s)

If borates lower chlorine usage as stated in the "So you want to add borates" article, how does one determine this decrease? Pool math gives the same demand results with or without Borates added. Do borates prevent loss? Is there a table somewhere I am not aware that outlines a new FC requirement with borates added?

Next Question...

Can I add borates gradually? For instance two or three boxes each time I go grocery shopping and correct PH as I go?

TIA
    25,000 Gal In ground
    Ceramic Tiled
    FKAA (Municipal) Water
    Sand Filter
    ! Hp No Name Pump K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Another borate question(s)

Poolmath tells you how much to put in. It doesn't say how often. Borates might make the CL last longer.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by midijamm View Post
    If borates lower chlorine usage as stated in the "So you want to add borates" article, how does one determine this decrease? Pool math gives the same demand results with or without Borates added. Do borates prevent loss? Is there a table somewhere I am not aware that outlines a new FC requirement with borates added?

Next Question...

Can I add borates gradually? For instance two or three boxes each time I go grocery shopping and correct PH as I go?

TIA

Where does is say Borates reduce FC consumption?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Number 3 in the list within that article.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

In this post So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How look at post #4 from Jason. He explains the "potential" FC savings.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

Borates - Why and How

Please, show me where it says that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

Patrick,

Please see the link in my post above.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, see the new article, and notice there isn't a chart for how much FC reduction you'll see anywhere on the forum. You'll notice he didn't write it in the new article. He can speak to that, but don't add Borates to gain a FC loss reduction. It can through a inhibition of Algae growth which will reduce load on Chlorine, but this will vary WILDLY in individual pools. If you gain a benefit in this way, just consider it a bonus, but don't count on it absolutely.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

50 ppm Borates are a mild algaecide so in theory would let you target a somewhat lower FC/CYA ratio and that is where you would normally get the chlorine savings. However, actual algae growth rates vary especially based on algae nutrient (phosphate and nitrate) level. You generally should not be adding 50 ppm Borates for algae control or to have a lower FC/CYA level. You add 50 ppm Borates for the additional pH buffering, especially for SWG pools where it also helps reduce scaling in the salt cell, and perhaps you add it for some extra sparkle due to reducing the surface tension of the water.

If you really wanted to lower your FC/CYA level to lower chlorine consumption, then there are other ways of preventing algae growth, also at extra cost (the borates aren't free either) and that would be use of weekly Polyquat 60 algaecide or use of a phosphate remover. The specifics for costs especially for a phosphate remover are complicated because they depend on initial phosphate levels, whether there are phosphates in the fill water, the amount of evaporation and refill, blown-in fertilizer, use of phosphate-based (e.g. HEDP) metal sequestrants, etc. So the simpler approach is to not worry about phosphates at all and to instead have an FC/CYA ratio that prevents algae growth regardless of algae nutrient level. That is what the Chlorine / CYA Chart is set to do.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"