Vacuum suggestions for 12' blue blob

Jun 30, 2015
Mountainburg, AR
Thought I could make it through the summer with just being diligent with my net and brush cleaning and was doing well. However a friend mowed for us unexpectedly and therefore there was no cover on the pool which I normally do when we mow. Now the bottom of our pool has lots of fine particles from the dust and tiny tiny bits of grass. Nothing that will stay in my net, and had no luck brushing trying to filter it out. We would like to buy something that works decent enough but not spend a fortune. Suggestions???

Pool blaster makes several models. They'll also work if you later upgrade to a bigger pool. Before the kids get out, make them run in a circle and create a whirlpool. All the debris will pile up in the center and you vacuum it all up in two minutes. I recommend the "fine silt bag" option if you go that route.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went really cheap (back when we had a 1000 gallon ring top pool) - used an old piece of 1.25" hose we had lying around, fastened one end of it to a long stick with a hose clamp, filled the hose up in the pool, and dumped the loose end overboard, a bit downhill from the pool. Once the siphon was going, I'd steer the in-pool end of the hose around to pick up the dirt.

The suction was great and water poured out at an impressive rate, which encouraged rapid vacuuming ��. Some topping up of the pool was needed afterwards.

This would probably have worked better with an official pool pole and vacuum head, but, as I said, I was after cheap and quick the day I first tried this.

Thanks so much for all the input. I found an inexpensive pool blaster vac. It was still pushing a lot of the sediment back into the pool even with the fine mesh bag, so after a couple of times I resorted to putting a pair of panty hose onto the vac above the intake but below the returns on the sides. After two more runs it was all caught in the panty hose and my pool is clean. However... Now I have a leak somewhere. If it ain't one thing it's another.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.