Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum suggestions for 12' blue blob

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum suggestions for 12' blue blob

Thought I could make it through the summer with just being diligent with my net and brush cleaning and was doing well. However a friend mowed for us unexpectedly and therefore there was no cover on the pool which I normally do when we mow. Now the bottom of our pool has lots of fine particles from the dust and tiny tiny bits of grass. Nothing that will stay in my net, and had no luck brushing trying to filter it out. We would like to buy something that works decent enough but not spend a fortune. Suggestions???
    Vinyl Pop Up Easy Set Ring Pool -Summer Escapes / 12'x30" / 24 inch water line / 1,586 gallon capacity according to manual. First time pool owner. HTH 6-way test kit (temporarily).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum suggestions for 12' blue blob

You can buy battery powered vacuums. I have one and it works great. I forget the name of the vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken View Post
    You can buy battery powered vacuums. I have one and it works great. I forget the name of the vacuum
    Thanks so much. Do you remember where you got yours? I'm going to look at Leslie's Pool today.
    Vinyl Pop Up Easy Set Ring Pool -Summer Escapes / 12'x30" / 24 inch water line / 1,586 gallon capacity according to manual. First time pool owner. HTH 6-way test kit (temporarily).

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you considered something like this? It's only like $33.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bestway-Pool-Vacuum/35494535
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool blaster makes several models. They'll also work if you later upgrade to a bigger pool. Before the kids get out, make them run in a circle and create a whirlpool. All the debris will pile up in the center and you vacuum it all up in two minutes. I recommend the "fine silt bag" option if you go that route.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

mine was called the catfish been working for us for 5 years now here is the link
    Amazon.com : Water Tech CATFISHPPV Pool Blaster, Catfish : Swimming Pool Handheld Vacuums : Patio, Lawn Garden
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I saw a nice Pool blaster on clearance at Sam's Friday for $89.00. I thought about picking one up for a spare. I love mine and use it all the time. I second getting the fine filter bags.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

X2 on Pool Blaster
    Cant go wrong
    Just be careful when charging and dont over charge it
    --- Greg----
    24 x 54 Round Cozumel AGP with Grand Entrance Step 14500 Gal
    Running ntex Krystal Clear Saltwater System with E.C.O.
    A/G Cristal Flo II Sand Filter Tank w/ 2HP, 2-Speed Dynamo pump -Zeobest
    TFT Test Kit---Gorilla Floor and Foam Pool Cove--Half Deck

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by POPPA S View Post
    mine was called the catfish been working for us for 5 years now here is the link
    Amazon.com : Water Tech CATFISHPPV Pool Blaster, Catfish : Swimming Pool Handheld Vacuums : Patio, Lawn Garden
    That is the same one that I have. I also have had it for about 5 years and it still works great. I bought it at BJs.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

When I had my "blue blob" I had some sediment. I did a whirlpool to gather the dirt in the scented, then used my net with some cheesecloth on it, with a pantyhose knee high over it.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I went really cheap (back when we had a 1000 gallon ring top pool) - used an old piece of 1.25" hose we had lying around, fastened one end of it to a long stick with a hose clamp, filled the hose up in the pool, and dumped the loose end overboard, a bit downhill from the pool. Once the siphon was going, I'd steer the in-pool end of the hose around to pick up the dirt.

The suction was great and water poured out at an impressive rate, which encouraged rapid vacuuming ��. Some topping up of the pool was needed afterwards.

This would probably have worked better with an official pool pole and vacuum head, but, as I said, I was after cheap and quick the day I first tried this.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks so much for all the input. I found an inexpensive pool blaster vac. It was still pushing a lot of the sediment back into the pool even with the fine mesh bag, so after a couple of times I resorted to putting a pair of panty hose onto the vac above the intake but below the returns on the sides. After two more runs it was all caught in the panty hose and my pool is clean. However... Now I have a leak somewhere. If it ain't one thing it's another.