Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool is a bird house

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool is a bird house

I searched, and found many threads where people complain of birds using their pool as a toilet. I don't have that problem.

The birds instead live in my pool. Specifically they build nests under the caps on the uprights.

For the last two years there has been a bird that builds a nest under one specific top cap. It just so happens to be where I store my solar cover. It's great when you go to take the solar cover off and a bird comes zooming out of the pool, but I have lived with it.

This morning I noticed that there are two MORE nests in various uprights, for a total of three bird nests in my pool. I guess I could take the top caps off and pack the area under them with something like steel wool (which would then rust and stain) or with something like fiberglass window screening.

Just wondering though, has anybody else ever had this problem ?

And for the record, despite they fact the live in the pool, they do not seem to use it as their bathroom, so it really does not bother me all that much.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

2. Back To Top    #2
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Re: My pool is a bird house

Birds are definitely persistent when it comes to nest building. I agree that a physical barrier is your best defense. You may have to use the fiberglass screen on all your uprights or the birds will find the ones you didn't block off next year.

A few summers ago, I had a bird build a nest inside my dryer vent. Three times! I finally had to buy a grill to cover the vent.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

3. Back To Top    #3

I've also seen people use various nylon netting and/or wire mesh (similar but smaller than chicken wire) and cut, mold, or drape around the area to deter birds from nesting in a specific area. My dogs are not bird fans, so they usually spook them off. I also keep one of those fake owls with the moveable head near my pool which seems to have slowed-down bird traffic substantially.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In my case they build nests at my retractable awning's corners. I tried to fight it off but when chicks appeared I gave up. First year they built it under the motor, the next - at both ends. Interesting, I was afraid it would intergere with awning's wind/unwind operation, but strangely enough, it didn't. Well, I am selling the house so I let the new owners deal with them
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, the one by the solar cover had chicks. I first noticed it when I was taking the cover off one day and could hear them peeping.

I like having the birds around - I feed the birds on the other side of the yard, and have birdhouses as well. The birds and my dog seem to coexist (squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, and rabbits are apparently his mortal enemies). So I really don't want to scare them off, just discourage them from using my pool as cheap housing.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

ZTry a few rubber snakes on the rail. I did that this summer and the birds have stayed clear..
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

7. Back To Top    #7

Rubber snakes! I have to remember that one.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    Yeah, the one by the solar cover had chicks. I first noticed it when I was taking the cover off one day and could hear them peeping.

I like having the birds around - I feed the birds on the other side of the yard, and have birdhouses as well. The birds and my dog seem to coexist (squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, and rabbits are apparently his mortal enemies). So I really don't want to scare them off, just discourage them from using my pool as cheap housing.

-dave

Charge them rent. NJ does not have rent control

Rubber snakes: instead use one live snake. A small constrictor will do. At the same time it will take care of other vermin, groundhogs etc
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, I'd let them go if they aren't causing harm or using the pool as their toilet.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter