Replastering question

The luna quartz looks awful. There is alot of scaring and mottling and the trowel marks are very visible. My pool looks 20 yo. My pool co. sold me this product as a great, premium finish. My previous pool was pebble tec. We explained we loved the look of it but not the feel of it as my kids were getting beaten up every time they swam. Pool co. "sold" us on the Luna Quartz as the finish that would check the boxes. After looking into it and not seeing one bad thing about it and seeing the finish in a pool ...we agreed. The plaster co says that my pool co. upsold the product.... its a mediocre finish..the toyota of finishes and that everything I see is what you get with luna quartz. The makers of Luna Quartz agrees with plaster co. and stated they have videos explaining what to expect with quartz finishes due to this very reason. The only difference is the plaster co. told me that my pool will look better in 10 yrs but makers stated it will look worse. :/ I am very upset and unhappy with my pool.

Amanda, is that the primera stone? I am not sure my PB was intentionally up selling me. I think they thought it was a great finish. I am more baffled that Luna Quartz is on the market if they have so many issues with it.

Ok, but I do not buy that. It's great if you want to change, and I don't blame you. But to blame it on Quartz or any other finish is dead wrong. A GOOD installer will make it look extremely nice, near perfect in most cases by far done correctly. They've been plastering Pools for a very long time with plain plaster which is arguably inferior to Quartz. Those can be perfect as well. It's all about the applicator and his skill in the trade and pride in his work. All those things you list, trowel marks, scarring, mottling...the blame for that is entirely on the applicator. That is shoddy workmanship.

Amanda, is that the primera stone? I am not sure my PB was intentionally up selling me. I think they thought it was a great finish. I am more baffled that Luna Quartz is on the market if they have so many issues with it.

It is a good finish. It's stronger than regular plaster. Any product is only as good as the applicator.

Yes primera stone is nice. I would do it if I could afford it. We are doing satin matrix.

I agree 100000%. I thought all along it was the plaster co. And their poor application. The owner of the plaster co. came out to look at the pool, after I sent numerous photos to my build builder ... He looked me straight in the eye and told me he thought it looked great for a Quartz finish. He was the one who proceeded to tell me it was mediocre..Toyota of finishes. He told me that all my issues are typical of Quartz finishes and that my pool builder should have told me that. Those were his exact words. IN shock with that conversation I reached out to wet edge. A rep. For wet edge come and look at my pool. They stand by everything the plaster co. said. They both feel the pool co. Up sold me the product. Wet edge says they have videos on website that specifically talk about all these issues with Quartz finishes........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All this is amusing to hear. I would like to understand how hundreds and hundreds of pools are finished with Quartz year in and out without any of these problems.

In any event, I would still go with chip out back to gunnite, as I believe that was the original question. Let us know what you decide on. I'll have to agree with Amanda that polished finishes are quite nice. Next to tile, there is nothing smoother that I know of.

If it really looks crappy and Wet Edge is adamant that their Luna Quartz is supposed to look crappy, I sure would make sure I wasn't using Wet Edge or any of their dealers for my next job. I would also like to thank you for warning me about their customer service before I have my pool remodeled this fall. I was considering using a Wet Edge or Pebble Tec dealer based on the general opinions here, but I will now exclude any Wet Edge dealers from consideration.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have to deal with the plaster company? Did you hire them directly or did your PB just hand your complaint off to them to limit his involvement to collecting your checks without having to do the work that comes along with it?

Patrick, I agree!! I just do not get it. I even questioned why have this product at all and I was told bc some people do not mind it looking all scarred up. ????? I guess they passed me onto the plaster co. to see if it was an issue with application. My pool co. acted surprised that Luna Quartz was being described so poorly. I will say that Wet Edge is trying to work with me and is trying to see if pool co and plaster co. will work with him in re plastering my pool. He really feels like had I been given the right info, I would not have picked quartz to which I agreed completely! Wet edge and plaster co. claim trowel marks are par for the course since it is hand applied. I do still believe that it is an application issue but since no one agrees with me ...I am out of luck. I previously posted on here asking people with Luna quartz what their experience was but didn't get much response.

Everybody's situation is different, but if I had my pool done by a Wet Edge dealer that had left trowel marks and Wet Edge seemed more interested in avoiding the situation than resolving it, I wouldn't call that great customer service. So many companies want to have their cake and eat it too. During the sales pitch it's all about their "certified" dealers and how you can't go wrong because they make sure their dealers are top notch. Once they have their money and a problem happens the pitch changes and it's, "don't bother us, we didn't install it."

Do you have pictures you can share?

EDIT - It looks like Wet Edge is trying to work with their dealer to have this fixed. Please let us know how they handle this in the end. It's their dealer, and if they're not willing to lean on their dealers to make a customer happy I want to know that and I'm sure others would like to know that as well.

"trowel marks are par for the course since it is hand applied"
Give me a break.
Look at an MMG installed pebbletec, they seem to be able to consistently hand apply a finish without trowel marks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.