Have about 6 bags on Non - Chlorine Shock Left

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Before I joined the wonderful TFP community, I followed the Pool Store advice, purchasing Phos Free, Chlorine Shock, Non-Chlorine Shock, etc. This did not last too long as I knew something was wrong.

I gave my Phos-Free to the Pizza Man.

Although, I still have about 6 bags of Non-Chlorine Shock (42.8% Potassium Peroxymonosulfate, Inert Ingridients 57.2% and Active Oxygen 4.5%).

Each morning as I go and grab the liquid chlorine in the basement, I walk by these bags (They also used to cost $6 a bag) OUCH! I can purchase 2 gallons of 12.5% for the same price, which lasts me a good 4 days in real hot weather.

Question: What should I do with the Non-Chlorine Shock? Could I use it? If so, under what conditions?

Here are my current levels:

FC 4-7 daily
CC 0
TA 110
CYA 50
CH 175

Water is crystal clear. Only increased PH 1X this year and lowered PH 3X (slowly over 2 weeks) from 8.1 to 7.5. As the TA decreased, the PH has been more stable. Any change I get to lower the PH, I will as this will bring my TA to the levels that I need. Have not added anything else all year except liquid chlorine. If there is a day where activity will be high, I usually dose the pool with enough chlorine to add an additional 1.5 ppm daily. I actually have been monitoring my pool very closely to determine what is needed under most conditions, etc.

You could still use it as it is a good oxidizer, like bleach/chlorine but know that it will show up as CC when you test for several days after use. The problem is, you would have to balance your FC level with the additional use of MPS. In theory, you could use no bleach for a couple days and your FC + CC (registered by hopefully only MPS) would be your effective FC level but I'm not sure how that would work out.

If it were me, I'd try to return them to where I purchased them for a refund or store credit on something you actually need. If that didn't work, try to sell on ebay, craigslist. If that didn't work, turn them in to a local household hazardous waste facility. Many of these facilities will have a "shopping" area where people can come in a get surrendered chemicals for free if they are still in proper containers and not a hazard. It could be very useful to someone with a hot tub or indoor pool.

I found small dead animals in my pool three days in a row (House Finch, Field Mouse, then another Field Mouse). On the third day I decided to test my CC level and it took two drops of the reagent to go back to clear. I added my daily dose of liquid chlorine and a bag of Leslie's Fresh 'N Clear non-chlorine shock. CC's were back to zero the next day. I was happy. Did the non-chlorine shock work by freeing up the FC or did the sun and liquid chlorine do the job for me? If so, you might still have a use for those bags.

Non-chlorine shock will oxidize some organics and while it can help prevent formation of some CCs by oxidizing some organics before chlorine reacts with them, it doesn't generally get rid of already existing CC's directly. What is more likely in your situation is that continued exposure to chlorine got rid of the CCs, especially when chlorine was exposed to sunlight since it breaks down into hydroxyl radicals that are very powerful though short-lived oxidizers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.