Before I joined the wonderful TFP community, I followed the Pool Store advice, purchasing Phos Free, Chlorine Shock, Non-Chlorine Shock, etc. This did not last too long as I knew something was wrong.
I gave my Phos-Free to the Pizza Man.
Although, I still have about 6 bags of Non-Chlorine Shock (42.8% Potassium Peroxymonosulfate, Inert Ingridients 57.2% and Active Oxygen 4.5%).
Each morning as I go and grab the liquid chlorine in the basement, I walk by these bags (They also used to cost $6 a bag) OUCH! I can purchase 2 gallons of 12.5% for the same price, which lasts me a good 4 days in real hot weather.
Question: What should I do with the Non-Chlorine Shock? Could I use it? If so, under what conditions?
Here are my current levels:
FC 4-7 daily
Water is crystal clear. Only increased PH 1X this year and lowered PH 3X (slowly over 2 weeks) from 8.1 to 7.5. As the TA decreased, the PH has been more stable. Any change I get to lower the PH, I will as this will bring my TA to the levels that I need. Have not added anything else all year except liquid chlorine. If there is a day where activity will be high, I usually dose the pool with enough chlorine to add an additional 1.5 ppm daily. I actually have been monitoring my pool very closely to determine what is needed under most conditions, etc.