Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation - Sanitizer Worries

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation - Sanitizer Worries

I am going to be going on vacation for a little over 7 days. No one will be around to check on my pool. I have a 20,000 gallon pool and have been taking been successfully taking care of myself with TFP methods for a few months. I need to try to keep things going while I am away. I think I will put the tricholor tabs in a floater. How many would I need? Will it last? My CYA will be around 40 at the time.
    20k? gal, IG plaster, 3HP Pentair Intelliflo variable pump, Hayward cartridge filter, built in 1987 with spa but currently have no heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation - Sanitizer Worries

Take the pool to SLAM level, cover if possible, fill the floater, circulate while you're gone.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

If your PH tends to rise lower PH to 7.2 before raising FC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    If your PH tends to rise lower PH to 7.2 before raising FC.
    Pucks tend to lower pH. If the OP packs a floater, pH should be raised to 7.8. It will still be in range a week later.

I just got back from 5 days out of town. I tethered a floater with 6 pucks (3 new, 3 partially used) in front of my return and added 3/4 gallon of 12.5% LC.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Take the pool to SLAM level, cover if possible, fill the floater, circulate while you're gone.
    Does this mean cover with a winter type cover, or is a solar cover acceptable? Due to bringing up to shock level, I didn't know if a few days contacting the solar cover would be bad.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

6. Back To Top    #6

solar should work...is it clear?

non-clear covers will do a better job keeping out uv which breaks down chlorine
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.