Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "desired stirring speed"

1. Back To Top    #1

"desired stirring speed"

The instructions for my new and not yet used Apollo Magnetic Stirrer state "turn the speed control knob clockwise until the desired stirring speed is attained."
    OK ... what is the "desired stirring speed"??
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "desired stirring speed"

I think that will become apparent once you try it out with plain water. Too low and nothing happens, too high and the magnet goes crazy. Just right and you have a nice vortex.

3. Back To Top    #3

http://piscines-apollo.com/english_stirrer.htm

Found a video with it in action.
    Barry
    Sundance Hot Tub 365 gal, acrylic
    (2) 2.5 hp pumps
    ozonator
    Northwest Ohio resident

4. Back To Top    #4

Waterbear and BC,

Thanks ... both responces got me on the right track.
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I love my stirrer. I did not like the glass beaker that came with it, but my kids took care of that when they broke it on the pool decking. I don't allow glass in the pool area.

It works just fine using the plastic vials that come in the TF-100 kit.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    I did not like the glass beaker that came with it
    Sorry about that. I'm still looking for a source of either polypropylene or TPX beakers to replace the glass ones. The beakers I looked at had the injection moulding nipple right at the bottom. I tried getting an equivalent to the 9198 vial but didn't like what I saw. I'll try again. Thanks for the feedback.

7. Back To Top    #7

I also have an Apollo stirrer and love it.

I modified it though as I found that I had to change the 9v battery too often.

I removed the 9v battery plastic holder and fitted a home-made battery pack (5 regular alkaline AA batteries). The voltage is a bit lower (7.5volts), but the capacity is about 5 times higher.

Because of the lower voltage, the max "stirring" speed is a bit lower, but it's still faster than what I need.
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)