Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heading out for a bit-protecting the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heading out for a bit-protecting the pool?

Leaving for a cruise Saturday. All systems nominal in the pool. Plenty of chlorine, plenty of CYA, reasonable acid demand. I will drop the pH before I leave. We will be gone for 8 days. All the run times and everything are automatic and in the contro panel.

Anything else I should consider doing before leaving?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heading out for a bit-protecting the pool?

How are you chlorinating now?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    How are you chlorinating now?
    SWG.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If you leave the pool uncovered, you'll lose some water to evaporation. Top it off as much as you can to keep it from dropping below your skimmer level. Our better yet, cover it.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

Can't bring it up too much unless I duct tape over the overflow drain. But the autofill generally keeps it at a fairly constant level. I've only had to add water once this summer and that was after we finally stopped getting rains and started getting heat.

- - - Updated - - -

My concern was more the pH level and how high it might get during the time away.

6. Back To Top    #6

So came back and and TA hadn't risen as much as I thought it would. pH rise is harder to measure in a quantitative amount but it did take 4 drops to bring it back down to normal range as opposed to the regular 1 or 2 drops. Have been bringing TA down via lowering pH and aeration cycles. Chlorine had gone down significantly as the heat really poured in while gone and I had (stupidly) lowered the SWG percentage right before leaving. Don't know what I was thinking. It was not below minimum levels when I tested both the first night back after pool had shut off and first thing inext morning when it hadn't run yet. And no overnight loss. With bleach, I slapped it up to about 14 for a couple of days just to be a little safer and upped the SWG percentage.