Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gerjman, new Houston member, getting started!

1. Back To Top    #1

Talking Gerjman, new Houston member, getting started!

Hello TFP folks! Greetings from Space City - Houston TX.

I am so glad to be here, learning & appreciate this site SO MUCH so far, it has been an absolute wealth of knowledge.. time now finally to share & ask (sorry if this is long! thanks in advance for reading!)

I have a 19000 gal plaster in ground pool, now w/ new 100% Quartscapes plaster, Tahoe Blue (as of January '15)

I've been lurking on the site since my re-plaster, but still stuck w/ the old pucks until just recently.

Last January after many cycles over the past few years of fighting mustard algae making a stronghold in my prematurely pitted plaster, I went for a replaster. Hired a "pro" to do an acid startup, brushed every day for 1+ months religiously.. was looking great. I rode a Ph vs TA roller coaster for a couple months (MA.. baking soda.. MA... baking soda.. ) and started finally settling down (~7.5-7.6 pH , 80 TA). CH I kept right around 200, the min.

About ~4 months in, I slowly started noticing some white spotting all over. It slowly appeared and would not brush out no matter how hard I tried. The quartzscapes manufacturer sent someone out to take a look. He theorized that I let my CH drop a bit too low and it was maybe pulling some calcium from the plaster , but that it was solidifying on the surface instead of making it into the water. He suggested that I should have been regularly adding some sequestrant (suggested Jack's Magic blue stuff) as anything/everything shows up easily on that Tahoe blue color (I should have thought more about that color maybe! it does look nice though).

The plaster installers agreed to do a free acid wash to clean it up (I just pay for my fill water :/). They finally did it about 10 days ago. They did an "OK" job, i can see lines where they power washed after the acid, and some scraping around the sides from their stiff brush i guess. I wasn't thrilled, I should complain, but at this point, it looks a lot better than it had before.. at least the color was back (no whitish film & spots), and i'm tired of them mucking with it, taking more of the plaster off & eating into the life of my new plaster (& maybe it's even worse if they touch it again).. anyway, w/ the color back & the water shimmering, it looks great.

Pool store said fill water had NO metals.. It was a very clear, but GREEN, so i wasn't "sure". I did a backwash, then added 2 qtz of the BLUE STUFF, got the calcium up to ~200 (a bit later I took it to ~240, spooked by the white scale, don't want to go there again), then waited a couple days to chlorinate as i didn't want to force any metal right back out with high chlorine level. I added 6 lb lf CYA using a couple of socks in the skimmers. It was gone in the morning, but i wasn't sure if it all slipped thru the holes in the toes . But seemed to measure about 30, so i assume mostly dissolved (i was surprised how fast). I assume that the ~6 lb should bring me to 40, so the next day I started a SLAM by bringing pH down to 7.2 (w/ some MA) & then bringing FC up to 16 using 8.5% plain clorox bleach. I kept it at 16 for a couple of days and got <0.5 CC on overnight test, so then let it come down to FC=5. TA was a stable 90-100, and pH ~7.6. That was 5 days ago.

Since then I've been adding bleach every day. It's hot Houston summer (~95 air, pool thermometer is on the way, don't have it yet) and the pool gets sun through the worst part of the day. The past 4 days I bring it to FC=5 before going to bed. It remains 5 in the morning, but at the end of the next day it's down at FC=1 and I have to add about 3.5 quartz each night to get back to 5. About every 2 days, the pH also creeps up (e.g. 7.7-7.8) so i knock it back down to 7.4-7.5 range w/ MA).

So I know it's early, I'm just trying to get stable. But does that seem normal to eat so much chlorine each day? 5 down to 1 FC every day & taking 3.5 quarts? On last read at the end of the day, CC = ~0 (imperceivable). I was wondering if my CYA really got up to 40, or if it's actually much lower, so I tested today and i can still "barely" see the dot when I fill (so i guess it's 25 or something <30). I had put 6 lb in and have done NO BACKWASH since I started (right after the fill).

It's been almost a week since I added the CYA, should I go ahead and add some more & try to get to a ~40 reading? Or is this all normal for hot summer day @ 19k gal pool to take 3.5 qt. of bleach per day?

My last reading today as the sun went down(w/Taylor K-2006 kit) was
    FC = 1.2
    CC = 0
    TA = 80
    pH = 7.7
    CH = 260
    CYA = <30 (hard to read)

The night before, about an hour after adding Cl and circulating, I had read FC=5 & pH a couple ticks lower (7.5). Now I should mention though.. the last few nights, on my FC i used DPD kit (not FAS-DPD) as i ran out of R-0871.. So the 1.2 is accurate (tonight I got more 871), not sure how close I was to the "5" in the last few days, but it was matching the top pink 'exactly' on the DPD. Tomorrow morning i'll check w/ the FAS-DPD for my "start of day" and "end of day" readings.

I'm not too confident on my ability to measure the CYA. Where can i get some reference CYA=50 solution? I checked Amazon, don't find it anywhere :/

I also really want to do BACKWASH to make sure no junk after i sequestered the water & went thru all the restart, but I want to be sure all my CYA is really dissolved so I had been waiting on it.

Any other advice is GREATLY appreciated, THANKS in advance.

BTW -- I'm determined to make pool store trips ONLY for COMIC RELIEF from here on out.. I did a read the several days ago at the "nearest" store which is typically ALL OVER THE MAP, they told me my TA is 200 (uh.. it was 90), CYA = 99 (huh?) and they flipped out about my phosphates (~2500) -- I said that's just my sequestrant , I have it in there on purpose, no worries.. blank look from the kid, huh? . Went straight to another store (just for more comedy I guess), and they were much closer to my readings, except they got much higher CA (60, which i don't believe).. except for my CYA accuracy, I'm very confident on the rest.

Let me know if any thoughts. Much appreciated & thanks for reading.

Greg (aka gerjman)
    Last edited by gerjman; 07-21-2015 at 01:15 AM. Reason: typos & clarifications

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gerjman, new Houston member, getting started!

Welcome to TFP!

Good to have you aboard, and hope you enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Patrick!!

Well, last night I hit it with 1 gallon to target ~6 FC instead of 5 FC. Here are my readings for the day:

7/21, 7am:
    FC = 6.2
    CC = 0.2
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 80

7/21, 9pm
    FC = 2.6
    CC <0.2
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 80

I will add 3 quarts Cl tonight to take it to FC=6.

So maybe 3 qt a day is normal in the summer heat? I will keep tracking... and retest CYA at end of week.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I suggest you use a 10 ml sample for the chlorine test to save on reagents.
    So maybe 3 qt a day is normal in the summer heat?
    Fill out your pool information in your sig. Can't answer that question until we can easily refer to the size of your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry Dave, I missed setting up my signature -- fixed now!
    Pool owner, 19k gal, IG, plaster (blue Quartzscape), Pentair DE filter (60 sq ft), 2hp 1 speed pump, Water tech robot vac, No heater, No SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

3 qts might be a bit much. Generally 2-3 ppm daily is pretty normal....sounds like you are a little over that.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Dave. Yes, it's been going down about ~4ppm a day, eating 3.5 quarts per day for the past couple days. CC consistently reads 0.2 or 0.

I'm thinking my CYA may be too low. I was waiting, thinking it might be taking a while to read, but it's been over a week now. On the test (K-2006), I fill the cylinder all the way (K-2006 kit) and can still see the dot plain as day (so its <30). Not sure where the 6 lb went.. (It should have gotten me to ~40), but maybe now i should go ahead & add a couple more lb. of CYA.

Sound reasonable?
    Pool owner, 19k gal, IG, plaster (blue Quartzscape), Pentair DE filter (60 sq ft), 2hp 1 speed pump, Water tech robot vac, No heater, No SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yeah, if you have given it a week, that's all you'll get.

If you double checked your math dosage, I would buy from another source.....just in case you didn't get ALL CYA the first time.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome out of lurkdom!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter