Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to SLAM, just ordered testing kit.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to SLAM, just ordered testing kit.

Hi there, first time poster and new pool owner in Texas.

We we went on vacation just after closing on the new house and came home to a green pool. I don't know enough about the pool to put it all in my signature, but here's what we think: 25k gallon, plaster, DE filter, pentair pump. Previous owner was using tablets, which I'm assuming is the cause of the high CYA (see below).

Brought a sample to Leslie's this morning and here are the results:

FC - 0
    TC - 0
    CH - 220
    CYA - 110
    TA - 110
    pH - 7.6

After reading on these forums, I know we need to SLAM. We are draining some of the water to get the CYA down and bought 20 gallons of 8.25% bleach. We ordered the TF-100 kit, but while we are waiting for it to arrive, what would your advice be to do? I'd hate to see it get worse.

image.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to SLAM, just ordered testing kit.

Drain and replace about 1/2 of the water. Add a jug of bleach a day to keep things from getting worse until the kit comes in. Then you can test and see exactly what you need to do.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Drain and replace about 1/2 of the water. Add a jug of bleach a day to keep things from getting worse until the kit comes in. Then you can test and see exactly what you need to do.
    thanks so much! Will keep you updated.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

No worries....you'll get this lined out with the new kit for sure, and no more guessing or frustration dealing with the pool store. Great move on taking the best step you could to help yourself. You'll be pleased you did, I promise.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi guys,

We are having the hardest time figuring out how to drain the pool. We can't get it to go past the skimmer. Is this normal? We rented a pump from Home Depot and drained it about 12" and refilled it but I know that's not enough to get the CYA down.

I'm posting pics of our equipment; if any of you could shed any light I'd be very appreciative!!

15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure if I'm using right photobucket links. Sorry!
    15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I figured how to drain with the help of a neighbor!

8. Back To Top    #8

Still waiting on our kit to arrive but we drained quite a bit last night, cleaned the DE filter, continued adding 1-2 gallons of bleach per day and the pool is already staring to look better!

Waiting for the test kit is like waiting for Christmas Day as a kid!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hello Megsyperk, you are certainly in the right place! We have similarities - newly bought a home, first time pool owner, however, our sellers were very gracious, left us a perfectly balanced pool but with a very expensive pool maintenance contract ($45 per week)! I'm glad I found this forum soon, and I'm glad you did too. My TF100 just came in today, and I'm already ahead of the curve, thanks to the very kind folks around here. My signature needs updating as well!

All the best, and hoping your family gets to enjoy your pool very soon now. All the best!
    20,000 IG, pebble tec, oval; Filter type & other equipment - yet TBD!

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks like your stocked up on bleach. Way to go.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome, and great job so far!!! Those are empty bottles, right? You don't want full ones sitting out in the sun...

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Welcome, and great job so far!!! Those are empty bottles, right? You don't want full ones sitting out in the sun...
    Oh no they're full. Shall move them right away!

13. Back To Top    #13

You're seeing changes already? Imagine the improvements you will see once you do accurate testing with your own test kit and a few more days go by. I hope you are taking before and after pics.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Even without the added benefit of proper testing it is starting to look good...should be a relatively easy SLAM!
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

Post lots of pics. Take a pic from the same place everyday so you can track your progress. We like to watch! Nice looking pool.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

16. Back To Top    #16

Definitely taking pics - I know you guys love to rubberneck (me too; have been enjoying some of the older threads and watching the transformation!).

17. Back To Top    #17

I absolutely cannot wait for this test kit! There's part of me that wishes I had waited to start until the kit got here just because I have no idea how the numbers have improved - just the look. But seriously, today looks even better.

18. Back To Top    #18

Looking good! Very nice scenery and pool. Man that Sago is HUGE.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Looking good! Very nice scenery and pool. Man that Sago is HUGE.
    The sago is beyond enormous. And it's coming out. It's got this monster looking thing in the middle that is straight out of Little Shop of Horrors. I swear I heard it whisper "feed me megsy" the other day.

20. Back To Top    #20

LOVE IT! So you bought the pool and just happen to get a house! LOL That is such a pretty setting.

Kim (feed me LOL)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast