Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cell resistance curiosity

1. Back To Top    #1

Ocean Springs MS

Cell resistance curiosity

Has anyone measured the resistance of their cell with it wet and the pump running? Mine shows 0 ohms (dead short) when it's in the housing full of water and I'm just curious if this is correct. It shows "open" when out of the water and dried off.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Cell resistance curiosity

It shouldn't be 0 Ohms but it will be low. The Pentair IC20/40/60 power center is nominally outputting 35V at around 5.7 Amps (it's limited at 6 Amps) so that implies 35/5.7 = 6.1 Ohms. Either you have a short in the cell (if you find it's not working) or your meter isn't right or you aren't measuring correctly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Cell resistance curiosity

You typically can't use a handheld meter to measure an electrochemical cell. Handheld meters do not typically generate voltages high enough to properly test cell resistance. Also Electrochemical cell resistance is not linear like a real device resistor (metal film resistor, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates