Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Hot Tub - Bromine or Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

New Hot Tub - Bromine or Chlorine

So I am an avid TFP guy, and my pool is perfection.

Helping a buddy who just bought a house with a Hot Tub....been doing reading in this thread, but I can't quite see what is most recommended.

What are your thoughts ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Hot Tub - Bromine or Chlorine

It depends on whether the spa is going to used every day or two vs. only on weekends or infrequently. It also depends on whether there is an ozonator in the spa. Roughly speaking chlorine is easier and better to use (with the Dichlor-then-bleach method or pure CYA then bleach) if you use the spa frequently or if you use it twice a week but don't have an ozonator. Bromine is easier if you use the spa less frequently especially if you have an ozonator.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome, just what we were looking for...

I am sure my buddy will join TFP shortly...but we needed this quick advice!

I will continue to read but one final question....(for now)

Since this is a used tub, and I like the KISS method, assume when we fill for the first time, a SLAM can't hurt to make sure all the crude (if any) is cleaned out, assume the process is very similar to a pool SLAM.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

get some ahh-some cleaner for that tub... it will clean all the crud out. the 6 oz is not cheap but man it works (you can get the 2oz).. I used it on my bathroom tub and it was spotless, but the pipes were nasty... going to use it on my hot tub when I open it this fall

Amazon.com - Ahh-Some Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing Jet Cleaner (6 oz.) - Bathroom Cleaners
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    get some ahh-some cleaner for that tub... it will clean all the crud out. the 6 oz is not cheap but man it works (you can get the 2oz).. I used it on my bathroom tub and it was spotless, but the pipes were nasty... going to use it on my hot tub when I open it this fall

Amazon.com - Ahh-Some Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing Jet Cleaner (6 oz.) - Bathroom Cleaners
    Awesome thanks much!