An Introduction and Success Story.

Jun 9, 2015
NJ
My wife and I purchased our home 3 summers ago with a 20x40 in-ground pool. I had a pool as a youngster, but never took an active role in maintaining it (this was back in the 1960's).

We moved in during the summer of 2013 and my wife immediately volunteered me to take care of the pool.

The prior owner of the home recommended a Leslie's Pools which was very close by, so off I went. (I know, I know).

So for the summer of 2013 and most of 2014, Leslie's was my trusted partner in maintaining the pool. I was on the hook for Chlor-brite, Alkalinity-Up, Hardness Plus, 3" Jumbo tabs, algae control, and PHOSfree. I completely trusted their word.

Nearing the end of the summer of 2014, I started noticing a blue-purple ring inside my skimmer. Although I didn't have noticeable algae, this troubled me. Searching the web, I found a site explaining a high CYA may be the cause. Since the swimming season was practically over, I decided to close the pool and worry about it in the spring. I also decided to take control of my own pool and lose my dependency with Leslie's.

This is when I discovered troublefreepool.com. I had all of fall and winter to read about pool chemistry. I read through the threads and found many pool owners with the same problems as me. I couldn't wait for the spring of 2015.

Cover comes off the pool in late May/2015 to cloudy water and the blue ring still in the skimmers.
I had bought a Taylor K-2005 test kit during the winter along with a Pentair CYA test. (I didn't spring for the TF-100 yet). I ran a CYA test, and as expected, was well over 100, so I started partial drains and sanitizing with bleach, all the while consulting the chlorine/CYA chart. Also, pump was running 24/7, and vacuuming every chance I had.

Eventually, the blue ring disappeared, the water cleared, and was finally beginning to sparkle. Here is where my faith in troublefreepool.com fully arrives. I finally spring for a TF-100 test kit.

So for 2015, I've been sanitizing with 8.25 bleach from Wal-Mart and basically following the BBB method.

Here are my latest test results with the TF-100 test kit:
FC 5.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
AK 90
CH 80
CYA 40-50

I am very happy with my pool. The water absolutely sparkles. Thank you pool school! It took two seasons, but I am glad I found your website. I know you all like pictures here, so I will try to post one when I can. Have a great summer everyone!

I suspect that some of the algae-control products that you used had copper in them since as shown in the following image

Purple-fltr.png

the purple is from copper cyanurate so a combination of high copper and high CYA. Fortunately you have a vinyl pool so it is less likely to get stained from the copper, but it's something you should be aware of and you'll want to remove the copper over time by water dilution or other methods, especially if you notice it staining.

So unless you replace water, the copper will remain in it so if either the CYA level or the pH rise you could get the staining again. You can remove the copper from the pool by either water dilution, use of a metal sequestrant, or use of the CuLator in the skimmer (if you use the latter and run into any issues, call the company as they will help with special procedures if any are needed).