Slightly Cloudy Pool

sarahk

Jun 12, 2015
Minneapolis MN
My pool is slightly cloudy. It's been crystal clear all summer, but after a recent storm (lots of rain and tons of debris in the pool) I can't get it to clear up totally (it's been 3 days since the storm). I know my CYA is high, but I'm wondering if I need to tinker with that, or if shocking the pool would be an option? My CYA has been high all summer, but hasn't made the pool cloudy prior to this. I've backwashed twice and the filter is running okay now. (I also do have the TF-100 test kit.) Thank you!
FC 6
CC possibly the slightest bit - the water looked like it may have the teensiest tint of pink, but nothing significant
TA 130
CYA 80
PH 7.5

With a CYA of 80, you should have a target CL of 9 and never below 6. I'm guessing you're getting below six in the heat of the day, so you're at the edge of an algae outbreak. Take a look at the CYA/CL relationship chart here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

With a 7,000 gallon pool, I'd probably go ahead and drain/refill about a third of your water to fix the CYA, then SLAM (not shock) the pool. Good job on having your own test kit!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.