Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slightly Cloudy Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Slightly Cloudy Pool

My pool is slightly cloudy. It's been crystal clear all summer, but after a recent storm (lots of rain and tons of debris in the pool) I can't get it to clear up totally (it's been 3 days since the storm). I know my CYA is high, but I'm wondering if I need to tinker with that, or if shocking the pool would be an option? My CYA has been high all summer, but hasn't made the pool cloudy prior to this. I've backwashed twice and the filter is running okay now. (I also do have the TF-100 test kit.) Thank you!
    FC 6
    CC possibly the slightest bit - the water looked like it may have the teensiest tint of pink, but nothing significant
    TA 130
    CYA 80
    PH 7.5
    sarahk IG, 7,000 gallons, sand filter (Hayward Vari-Flo XL), vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slightly Cloudy Pool

With a CYA of 80, you should have a target CL of 9 and never below 6. I'm guessing you're getting below six in the heat of the day, so you're at the edge of an algae outbreak. Take a look at the CYA/CL relationship chart here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

With a 7,000 gallon pool, I'd probably go ahead and drain/refill about a third of your water to fix the CYA, then SLAM (not shock) the pool. Good job on having your own test kit!
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto to what Sandra said. If you don't drain water to lower CYA, you'll simply have to increase your FC level and maintain it as such through the rest of the season.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! Just finished draining 1/3 of the pool. Then I'll work on SLAMming.

5. Back To Top    #5

What is your pump run times? I had the cloudy issue after a storm earlier, I upped my runtime and it cleared it up. I then added DE to the sand filter and wow it is crystal clear.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

IMG_1159.jpg
    Thanks for all the great advice! I drained 1/3 of the pool and SLAMmed it. I now have a beautifully clear, sparkly pool (Turtle is there to keep ducks out, ha.)

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice! You 'll be so pleased to have your CYA at a reasonable level now! It makes caring for your pool much easier.
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

8. Back To Top    #8

Enjoy your weekend!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!