Intex 1600 GPH Sand Filter & Saltwater System- Winter storage, Mold, Sand, Bad Smell?

Intex 1600 GPH Sand Filter & Saltwater System- Winter storage, Mold, Sand, Bad Smell?

I have used an Intex salt water system for many many years with great results each year. I used to use a filter pump before.

Last year I began using the Intex sand filter for the first time. Because I live in New England, I store the pool and hoses in the garage; The Salt Water system in the house; and the sand filter pump in a Rubbermaid shed outside, after I drain it and cover the openings to prevent anything from getting in the sand.

This year, suddenly, there was a bad smell from the pool water. The water is crystal clear and there was nothing rotting anywhere or anything like that. The pool looks great. This is the first time a swamp pond smell happened in all the years while using Intex pools (various sizes) and the salt water generator. The only difference between then and now was the new filter system - now using sand instead of a filter cartridge.

So I looked online for clues on why the pool water could have such a bad smell. One person says to check the sand filter and if it there is black stuff in there. So I backwashed/rinsed the sand filter process, then after that was done I opened up the sand pump. There was black chunky stuff in there on top of the sand in clumps here and there. It grossed me out. Not sure if it was mold, but it must be it.

The sand is the right type of filter sand and it was new last year (purchased from a pool store).

I scraped a bunch of it out and then reassembled the system again and did another backwash/rinse cycle. I then opened it up again and more black stuff.

1) Did this black (mold?) develop from storing the filter pump with wet sand (even after draining it last year)? It was stored in a Rubbermaid shed.
2) Is it normal to have black clumps of stuff in a sand filter?

All last year with the new sand filter pump, I think I only backwashed/rinsed it out 2-3 times during the entire summer. Because this was so new to me, I was a little unsure about the sand filter process. But still, the water looked great and smelled great all last summer. (I only used the salt water generator all these years. Never had to add any other chemicals. The pool water looked great and it never bothered us.)

So, after I opened the sand filter the second time, I pulled out the center unit accidentally on top of the sand. Now I have no choice but to remove all the sand to reassemble the center piece.

I might as well put new sand in now since I have to remove the current sand in there.

3) How do you properly winterize this Intex sand filter in New England?
4) How do you prevent the black stuff from occurring again?

I am tempted to give up on the sand filter and use the cartridge filter system again. At this point, it seems to be less of a hassle. All I used to do with that was just rinse the cartridge and replace. Done.

Re: Intex 1600 GPH Sand Filter & Saltwater System- Winter storage, Mold, Sand, Bad Sm

I never store filter anywhere. I drain it and leave the valve semi-open, and this is it (after a while you could close it). There is no smell. From the sand or water. However I learned that sanitizing the sand works well. I put some wayer and a gallon of bleach (I am sure it can be way less of bleach).Next morning I connect the filter and I in fact put it to filtering so the whole chlorine goes to pool. OK, I will have a little dirt and it will drop out same day, and then I will waste it.

Re: Intex 1600 GPH Sand Filter & Saltwater System- Winter storage, Mold, Sand, Bad Sm

This is my first year with a sand filter. After reading your post, I will empty out the sand at the end of the season. The sand is so cheap, why not use new sand every year?

Though I'm not in New England our weather does get very cold we just don't get the snow here. The pump and SWG head to shed. I don't move the filter. I usually drain the filter and leave the valves off. After letting it dry out for a white (ok so last winter we closed but I forgot about the open filter for a few weeks until one day I went oh shoot). I then put the covers on the top and bottom valves, put the top handle valve to neutral and covered the whole thing in plastic.

Never had a bad smell or ucky sand. I've been following this process for three years.

Ken,

Don't. One person's problem, not even typical. With this approach we need to bathe in alcohol every day plus take a daily dose of antibiotic, as there sure is some nasty bug somewhere out there.
Plus in doing so you will likely damage your laterals and this is an extra $50-75.
Sand is good for at least 5 years, and then some if you clean it.

Hi ~ I think maybe it helped that you let it dry out for a while. I didn't do that last fall. Maybe that is the issue. But, like someone before said, maybe it is better just to throw out the old sand at the end of the season and replace with new sand. I just may do that.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I don't understand the reference to "we need to bathe in alcohol every day plus take a daily dose of antibiotics"??

My Intex pool and filter/salt system had always worked perfectly and smelled great all these years, except for this year (which was year two of the new sand filter never used before last year). There was black stuff in the sand. I just removed all the old sand and the the black stuff was even on the walls. I cleaned out the filter unit so I can put in new sand.

Can any provide their storage system for the sand filter (if you are living in a very cold region, like New England)? Can't leave it outside. So what do you do?

Like the poster above stated, you may damage the filter emptying the sand and refilling. I will wash it with bleach before winter.

Thank you for that link. That was helpful and will remember that for next year. But I am still concerned why there was clumps of black stuff in the sand, not like normal looking debre that the video showed in that link. I am trying to find online a video how to store an Intex sand filter specifically. I have removed all the old contaminated sand and will refill with brand new sand, run the salt generator and filter again and hope the awful smell of the pool water goes away in a few days. The pool looks crystal clear but it has this awful smell this year only. This has never happened before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I drained mine last winter and did not get to put it away, as we had a death in the family in the fall. I am pretty sure I backwashed thoroughly before draining, it seemed okay so far.

Draining sand filter takes time, and even after that the sand stays wet for quite a while. Plus you closed it, possibly while still wet. If it wasn't very cold by that time, it could create nice environment for some mold enjoying itself.
Think of it: wet, dark, cool.

So it might be mold. Of some sort.
Good news is, chlorine kills just about anything.

do you use a lot of pool store products products like clarifiers and such? lots of skin goo on multiple swimmers can add to the "stuff" that might gum up a sand filter.

I would clean with bleach next time. maybe change the sand now and use this website's pool care process. changing the sand too much risks damaging the internal parts of the filter.

Hi ~ I don't use pool store products, just salt for the salt water generator. I have been doing the same process for years successfully. Just last year was the first time with the sand filter pump instead of the cartridge filter pump as I was used to before.

Last Thursday I did replace all of the sand and did a backwash/rinse cycle again. When I was at the pool store, I explained the smelling water situation and the moldy inside of the sand filter to the employee and, while they couldn't give me an exact explanation for it, they said to put in a one-time "Power Powder Plus" shock (it was a small one pound bag) and run the filter only for about 12 hours then resume the normal salt water generator system after that. I haven't had a chance to use the pool since then, but I hope when I do in the next few days the smelly water will clear up.

The only other difference in any product I have been using lately is switching to all-natural sunscreens. One brand, Raw, has an strong smell to it and I am not buying it again after I use up the tube. It really don't think that is the cause of it because I haven't used the same sunscreen each time I went in the pool this season up to now and when I detected the awful smell in the pool water. It is highly unlikely it is because of the natural sunscreens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.