How to protect existing deck and future rock work?

brebur

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi folks,
Very quick intro: I've owned the house since 2000 and the previous owner built the pool in 1995. In-ground, surrounded by sawn limestone coping and flagstone deck. We've been running a SWG since 2008 or so, and starting around 2012/2013 we noticed pitting and some crumbling occurring with the limestone surrounding the pool. It's not all of the blocks, but about half of them. The stone crumbles and leaves sand in the pool.

We are at a point where the pool needs some expected work. The plaster is original and needs replacement, and the limestone surround needs replacement also.

I see in the New Construction subforum that many folks have SWGs with all that beautiful rock. How is that rock protected from salt water? Is the popular moss rock and travertine mostly immune or is there a sealer PBs use to protect it?

My flagstone and rock waterfall is not sealed at all. Some of it is weathering, most is not. The stone that is weathering would weather if it were sealed or not in my opinion. In fact, some of my worst weathered flagstone is on paths away from the pool with little to no exposure to saltwater. I think it is just the nature of natural rock. This is my 4th swim season, third year.

I had a pool store owner tell me I needed some sealant for my flagstone... he called it ____ -a- seal ... I cant remember the blank... I just remember it sounded like Deck-a-seal (the mastic). he said you spray it on with and insecticide sprayer.

Austintatious, I just found "Deck-o-seal" which sounds like it. In other threads, I also learned of a Dupont product that is a water-based brush-on sealant for stone.

Pooldv, I agree, it depends on the stone and exposure. On my pool, some of the coping stone is denser limestone and is not eroding, but the eroding pieces are easily crumbling away, just sandy on top.

So, as for my question, I've learned of a couple products that can seal stone. I've also learned that it depends on the stone and especially for some types, like OK Flagstone, they are more resistant to salt erosion.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.