Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner Fade

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner Fade

My pool liner is just over a year old and it has faded from the waterline to the seam at the bottom. Above the watering is as dark as the day I got it and the bottom too. I do not care as long as I get a few years. Initially, I thought the chlorine caused this but if that were the case, the bottom would be faded too. I wonder if it is due to some defect in the manufacturing process.

- - - Updated - - -

C360_2015-07-20-17-27-18-242_zpspamqr7tn.jpg Photo by f3justusc | Photobucket
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner Fade

Strange that the bottom is OK if it's the same original color so you are probably right that this is a manufacturing defect where the side vinyl does not have colorfast dye. It's either diluting in water or getting oxidized by chlorine, but much faster than it is supposed to. Note in this link that medium blue vinyl color is the most sensitive, probably because it uses an organic dye rather than inorganic dyes/chemicals for color.

If you have some spare side vinyl you can soak some in water and another piece in chlorinated water (that you'd need to maintain as chlorinated) to see which causes the problem.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh wow. it is really faded.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Oh wow. it is really faded.
    Yesterday is when it struck me how faded it is and how consistent the fading is. I cannot be bothered to worry about this so, I am going to put in the "ignore" pile.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as it's not leaking, I'd do the same.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Is it brittle at all, or just faded?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine was fading evenly until this year. Now the waterline on the sunny side of the pool is much more faded than the rest. Consequentially, that was also where the tab floater would get stuck and hang out all day back when I still used one.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Is it brittle at all, or just faded?
    It seems to just be fading.