Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex SWG Low Salt 91

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex SWG Low Salt 91

This is my 3rd year with the intex SWG. I haven't had any issues. This year, I'm getting the low salt error, which I've had before and has been fixed by adding salt. This time, adding salt doesn't seem to be making a difference. I checked the plates and they look brand new. No buildup. I tested the salt with a salt strip, and it's at 5, or 1690 ppm. It seems high as I can taste the salt more than I usually can. Any suggestions?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48"
    Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Intex Krystal Clear Salt System (not yet installed)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex SWG Low Salt 91

1690 doesn't seem high, I though the SWG wanted salt higher than that. What does the manual say is ideal and high? I would definitely be comfortable adding more salt, up to 2500 or 3000 ppm. My Pentair SWG doesn't give high salt error until 4500 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

According to my manual for the Intex
    "The ideal salt level in the pool water is between 2500-3500 ppm (parts per million).
    The optimal level is 3000 ppm."
    So you need to add salt. But I cannot taste the salt in my pool at all.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

4. Back To Top    #4

My Intex SWG likes about 3200. I use the Aquacheck salt test strips and I'm in the low 6's and my generator has been humming along all summer keeping my pool nice and sparklely
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. Is there any other type of salt we can use safely? I've heard of melting water softner pellets or something since they are cheaper.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48"
    Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Intex Krystal Clear Salt System (not yet installed)

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I agree that your salt level needs to be around 3000 ppm. But if you raise it and still get the low salt code, keep in mind that the cells in these SWGs don't last forever. In my experience, 3 years is about the max. You can call Intex or order online to get a replacement for $68 + shipping. But this time of year, you may also find a new one locally at Wal Mart or Academy for $99 or less. That may be the smarter move.

In the meantime, be sure to add some chlorine bleach to your pool daily to keep algae at bay. Use poolmath to know how much to add.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach