Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: oe_alex DIY Build

1. Back To Top    #1

oe_alex DIY Build

Hello everyone. After much discussion and thought, my wife and I have decided to move forward with building our own pool in our backyard. This will be a DIY project. First a little background on myself. I'm the owner of a landscape contracting company. We are primarily a high end residential landscape design & build company, and have done quite a bit of work around various pools in the area. Through that experience, I've seen the ins and outs, and have had many discussions with our clients with pools (what they like, what they don't like, what they would do differently, etc.). The one common phrase I hear is how they wish they would've built it bigger, and that they love their pool.

I have experience with forming and pouring concrete walls, and this is how I am planning on doing our build. I plan on doing a depth profile of 3'6" to 5'. The current plan is to pour the walls on 8" footings, grade the floor and finish with a 2" vermiculite base. From there we will install a liner (current thought is Black Granite or the new Loop Loc Platinum Onyx). I will attach the preliminary drawings for everyone to see. Any insight is welcome! Last year we built a pavilion including a fireplace and outdoor kitchen that we absolutely love. We feel that adding a pool to the backyard would complete everything. I've been playing around with the design and layout since last winter. I'm also attaching a few renderings of what it will tentatively look like in conjunction with what's already back there. The step design and total size of the pool has changed since the renderings, but you'll get the idea. Disregard the depth and steps in the rendering! Sketchup can be tricky at times with that stuff.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Amelia Island, FL

Re: oe_alex DIY Build

Looks great. Can't wait to see this one!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

Whats the size of the pavillion ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Built Aug 2015- 20x40 26000 Gallon free form gunite, White plaster w/ 50% blue quartz, 2hp Jandy Stealth, Polaris 280, 2 skimmers,2 floor drains, 5 returns, bubbler, Grotto waterfall. 2 24" sheer decents, Jandy 48 DE filter, Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 SWG, 2 Color changing led

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tallahassee, FL

OH man! That outdoor kitchen!!!!! Do you ever eat inside???? I would not. I would have to have a cozy chair to keep by the fire to curl up in and read in front of the fireplace!

Please add the area that you line in as well. THANKS!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!