Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skippy's New Fountain

1. Back To Top    #1

Skippy's New Fountain

So we've got this wall outlet all ready for our Polaris to "click" into it. So needing a new cooling fountain, Skippy built one up using another Polaris wall fitting so the two devices are interchangeable in the wall. The only parts not glued together are the polaris end to the PVC end, just in case we want to alter something down the road. In total cost less than $20 (mostly for the Polaris parts) and works a charm! Pool temp dropped like 5 degrees in 24 hours. I am proud of Skippy

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skippy's New Fountain

Nice layout on the holes! Looks like a factory job. Good work man!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Nice layout on the holes! Looks like a factory job. Good work man!
    He used a sheet of graph paper to help guide the drilling of the holes.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Skippy has skills..... and a steady hand. My holes don't look that nice. The spray pattern is so pretty
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

That is fancy. And nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Very nice work, the hole layout looks perfect!

I needed to use my cooler for the first time this week.

7. Back To Top    #7

Dude patent that bad boy and sell it ; )
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice job!!!
    What is hanging from that piece of floaty in your pool?

9. Back To Top    #9

Ha, this is fantastic!
    27 foot round above ground pool, steel walls and resin uprights/top rails/foot covers.
    1.5 HP Hayward Turbo II pump, 24inch, 300# Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 200,000 BTU natural gas heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Nice job!!!
    What is hanging from that piece of floaty in your pool?
    Pool Thermometer

11. Back To Top    #11

B.O.R.I.N.G. After the cool DIY fountain, I expected another miracle creation... Although I do love the floaty trick!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Skippy's fountain is foun-tabulous!!! That's one of the best ones I've seen. Will I find the Polaris part by googling or is there a magic secret for finding it?

Thanks so much for sharing! And I almost missed this thread....
    Suz.

One more question.... I know very little or nothing about drilling. How did you make the holes? I get using the graph paper (ingenious), but what kind of tool makes those very small holes - they are so clean. Is it the drill tool that you put the short metal stick-like things into the part you hold. You know, the sticks that have the candy cane striped grooves in them? If so, what size stick or whatever you call it? Or was it something else?

Thanks again!
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Skippy says: 1/16th of an inch drill bit, drilled directly through the graph paper in alternating lines ( graph paper was taped on) and then removed the paper and sanded the Schedule 40 PVC pipe smooth. Cleaned out the inside of any shavings with a long refrigerator brush. Used PVC glue to glue pipes together except left the Polaris piece and the next piece of PVC unglued in case we change something down the road.

The Polaris part is just the piece that goes into the universal wall fitting from our Polaris 165 sweep cleaner.
    Polaris Universal Wall Fitting Collar (UWF) - 6-500-00 <--this part stays in the wall at all times
    Polaris 6-502-00 65/165 Wall Fitting
    Polaris Pressure Relief Valve 6-503-00

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

How terrific! I love being spoon fed each and every detail - especially when I need it, like now!!

Drill bits.... of course! I think I should have known that somewhere back in the recesses of my shriveling brain. Lol!!!

Thank you both so very much!!!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Duraleigh says that Skippy is getting on my nerves. He is making all of us DIY rednecks look bad with his meticulous work.

Please dunk his head in the pool until he comes to his sense.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Can I make this for an intex above ground pool???

17. Back To Top    #17

Skippy - Wow great DIY project. I could do that too. I've got 6 returns in my pool. My previous pool had a fountain I bought and attached to a return but didn't look anything as nice as yours.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

Irwin, I will pass on your compliments to Skippy (positive reinforcement keeps him working on those honey-do projects, y'know?)

Maddie

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by melsteph View Post
    Can I make this for an intex above ground pool???
    Melsteph- I know folks do because I've scanned over their posts, but I'm clueless to the details since my pool is different.

I would suggest opening up the Above Ground Pool section in the Forums, and then using the <search> feature found at the top and it will bring up fountains that folks have used.

I hope this helps you

Yip

20. Back To Top    #20

My Polaris wall port is not valved and has a small amount of flow without the pump running. Are you running your booster pump to create the fountain?
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast