Concord, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Is there a way to do a slam while being able to swim during the day? I would call my pool dull, but clear. cc was .7 on Sunday afternoon.

Probably could use a SLAM, If I could have my cake and eat it too, that would be great!

Any FC below the shock level on the CYA/Chlorine chart is safe to swim. It may accelerate fading of suits and be harder on hair than maintenance levels, but it's safe as long as you can see the bottom clearly and the surfaces aren't slippery. Test your FC and if it's below shock level, then you can swim. Bring it back up after the swim. Rinsing suits and bodies after the swim are a good idea.

Non-chlorine shock is usually monopersulfate (MPS). It is a perfectly good oxidizer like chlorine but it tends to be more expensive. When you use it, it also shows up as CC when doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test as a false positive. It interferes with the reagents but MPS will also dissipate in several days. Maintaining adequate chlorine levels is enough to maintain a pool so it's more about keeping things less complicated and less expensive.

Reactions: Blakerud
The active chlorine level at SLAM level is 10 times higher than at the minimum FC/CYA levels in the Chlorine / CYA Chart in the Pool School. So one day of swimming at SLAM levels is equivalent in its effects to 10 days of swimming at normal levels. Technically it is equivalent to being in a pool with 0.6 ppm FC and no CYA so is less than many commercial/public pools that use no CYA and have at least 1 ppm FC such as many indoor pools. It most definitely oxidizes swimsuits, skin, and hair faster as my wife experienced every winter when swimming at a local community center pool where her swimsuits would degrade (elasticity got shot) every winter season while the same kinds of suits in our own pool over the summer lasted 7 years. The differences on skin and hair were noticeable as well though she would shower afterwards and use dechlorinating shampoo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.