SLAM while on vacation!!!!!

jfpool

Jul 18, 2015
Huntsville, AL
I asked this on another thread but thought it might be better to put out as a new one:

Background, I just started to SLAM a green pool that was high in CYA and Calcium until I changed out water. I am now at CYA=50 and SLAMing at FC=20. I have seen slight improvement since Friday evening when I started.

so next hurdle:

Going on vacation for a week on Friday. need advice on what to do before I leave. I don't think this problem will be tackled by Friday, and with the fact that I have to have it at SLAM levels until I get the water clear is not looking good for me.

I was thinking hitting at 25-40% higher than the SLAM FC level and then have a friend dump two gallons of liquid chlorine in the pool half way through my vacation.

Thoughts/Wisdom/Experience please!

I will not be able to have someone test and add chemicals for me! I will be lucky to get someone out to the house to dump 2 gals of chlorine.

I suppose you take what you can get when it comes to friends and assistance, then simply go from there. Not much else you can do if there's no way to be consistent each day. Just re-group and start again when you return. Either way, have a nice vacation.

how bad was the pool when you started? I think you have a good chance of being done by Friday if hit it hard this week. by hit it hard, I mean doing a bunch of tests and FC additions to make sure you are at SLAM level the entire time. I think you will be mostly thru and then just having someone adding bleach a few times will help. get your pool light out if you have one and/or any ladders and scrub those areas.

if you are going thru large FC losses during the day by the time you leave, bumping up the FC really isn't going to help too much. I would try and get someone to come out at least twice while you are gone to add. and I would add more than 2 gallons, but you will know better about how much is needed by the end of this week. the FC loss starts to slow down. so if you are averaging 5 gallons a day...then you bring your FC up to mustard level before you leave, have them add 3 gallons 2-3 days later, and then 2 more gallons 2 days after that.

you will still need to re-start SLAM when you get home but it should at least hold your progress.

how bad was the pool when you started? I think you have a good chance of being done by Friday if hit it hard this week. by hit it hard, I mean doing a bunch of tests and FC additions to make sure you are at SLAM level the entire time. I think you will be mostly thru and then just having someone adding bleach a few times will help. get your pool light out if you have one and/or any ladders and scrub those areas.

if you are going thru large FC losses during the day by the time you leave, bumping up the FC really isn't going to help too much. I would try and get someone to come out at least twice while you are gone to add. and I would add more than 2 gallons, but you will know better about how much is needed by the end of this week. the FC loss starts to slow down. so if you are averaging 5 gallons a day...then you bring your FC up to mustard level before you leave, have them add 3 gallons 2-3 days later, and then 2 more gallons 2 days after that.

you will still need to re-start SLAM when you get home but it should at least hold your progress.

check this thread for images of the start and this is after several water changes to get to CYA=50.

new and trying to get rid of green algae that came out of no where

making any progress? FC consumption slowing down at all?

yes, it look a little better this morning. Having my son check at 1000 and 1400 since I am work and he will add accordingly. When I did my FC last night it was at 25. I then added more water overnight (still wanting to get CYA down). This morning at 0630 it was 24. I thought it should be a little lower considering I still have a lot of green, but we will see.

I will be posting a link to update images soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.