SWG: which one is best and cheapest in the long run?

Hello Lou, and welcome! I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you what I have learned.

1. Get a good test kit! The TF-100 is highly regarded here.
2. There are no stupid questions.

I have used an Intex SWG (here is a link to one of my posts - http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-swg-w-inground-pool-t8884.html)

As far as I know, SWG were first marketed for private swimming pools in Australia, and then spread around to the rest of the world. Ease-of-use features, size and brand names seem to determine cost. There are some experts on this forum who frequently provide much more details on the technical nature of the products.

From my experience, the Intex is almost perfect for me, but has its flaws - its connections are designed for Intex pools; loss of power=loss of program; program is just run time length. Those are far outweighed by its low cost(EBAY has several for less then $200 US,) and simplicity.

I can't tell you how long any of the brands cells will last, I don't even understand why they "wear" out(get so coated/covered with minerals that they are insulated?) PH rise with use a SWG seems to be common, but use of borates can slow it(works for me! :-D )

A feature that most of the high end models have is BOOST, SuperChlorinate, or Shock, which simply means that the unit runs for a longer cycle time. It will not generate chlorine any faster than normal, which in my humble opinion, is not fast enough to "shock", you should keep some fast-acting chlorine(bleach) on hand for that purpose.

The diagnostic features of some models look cool, and may be valuable to you; a clear cell so you can see it working, or tell if it needs cleaning; a salt level reading; water temperature; cell life time usage, etc..

The programming functions vary, but most are similar. I didn't see if you have a control system, but use of the same brand SWG is usually recommended.

Not to side-track and steal this thread...

I just got Leslies catalog. On page 18 is a Salt Water Chlorinator for $199.99 Item # 81-322.

Anybody heard of this one?

"ChlorEase AG Saltwater Chlorinator

For above ground pools.

The ChlorEase Saltwater Chlorinator is an automated chlorine generator and has been specifically designed to operate in above ground pools. This unit is a stand-alone sanitazing system that attatches conveniently beneat the top rail hangs down along the inner pool wal and is submerged in the water rather than plumbed in-line with the filtration system. Just plug the ChlorEase Saltwater Generator into any 110 Volt GFI protected outlet, making installation simple and easy. There is absolutly no plumbing and the unit operates without the pump and filter.
Treats above ground pools up to 18,000 gallons
LED status indicator
Programmable on-off cycle and switch
Can be used with all chemicals used in chlorine-maintained pools
Easy installation on new and existing pools
No plumbing required
Uses any 110V GFI protected outlet
Backed by a 1 year manufacture's warranty"

This sounds exactly what I would like to have for my pool.

Easy - cheap- no plumbing-

Is this just a bunch of "Pie - in - the - Sky"?
Anybody heard of this unit?
Thanks
Heike

Hello:
Thanks for the information up to now. I looked at the Intex, looks as cheap as it is. What I need is a horizontal inline straight-thru design available for 220 Volts (that ´s what they nominally pretend to have here in the Phils, sometimes only 190 Volts, sometimes nothing at all - brownout it ´s called here. If you see the electric poles, some of them tilted dangerously and the cable mess you know why) That means the programming should not be always lost on power failure. Any hints where to look for something like that?
Greetings,
Lou

I see that many posts mentioning "swg for above ground pools" is there any particular reason for that epithet?
Intex swg is one that often call to be an above ground swg but it produces 24g/h if I remember right. suitable for many inground pools aswell imho.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Intex SWG uses Intex style hose fittings, and therefore requires non-standard adapters for use with an in-ground pool. The ChlorEase is designed to mount to the rim of an above ground pool wall. There isn't a corresponding location to attach a ChlorEase on a typical in-ground pool.

Most of the remaining "above ground" SWGs are marketed that way because they are smaller units that are more likely to be suitable for above ground pools, which tend on average to be smaller than in ground pools. However, the majority of these units would be fine on any smaller in ground pool and probably wouldn't be sufficient for a large above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.