no pump for a few days! how and what quantity of liq.bleach??

Jul 7, 2014
kamloops bc
Okay! so I've been creeping this site for a while now and learning some things :>)). I have had a pool for the better part of 20 years and learn't to test my own water and generally have no problems keeping a very clear pool. I have always used granular shock and stabilized pucks, I do use non-chlorine shock occasionally when I don't want to baby sit chlorine readings. However I don't like shock and could easily be switched to liq. chlor. My problem is what quantities to add?? I know there is different strength's 6-12%, When I opened the pool 2 weeks ago I used shock cause was not sure how much bleach I would add? and now my pump has been toast since Saturday sometime(I was away) and I broadcast some shock by hand this morning but hate the fact that I get residual grains in bottom of pool and a weird white film on top. Soo can I add bleach and how much without ciculation?? mix with a paddle??
Marc

Hi Marc,

You can use pool math to figure out how much bleach to add:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Enter your stabilizer (CYA) first and check the Suggested FC Levels to get your FC target.

Are you disolving the granular in a bucket first? Try dumping only half of the bucket and then add more water to dissolve further.

Either way, I think you should pump for four hours at least, even with the bleach.

-Rob

You can use your pool brush to help mix in the beach or really get the water going with something like a canoe paddle. A sump pump with the water drawing from the deep end and returning to the shallow end can help too - but don't let anyone in the water with that pump in it.

Hi Marc,

You can use pool math to figure out how much bleach to add:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Enter your stabilizer (CYA) first and check the Suggested FC Levels to get your FC target.

Are you disolving the granular in a bucket first? Try dumping only half of the bucket and then add more water to dissolve further.

Either way, I think you should pump for four hours at least, even with the bleach.

-Rob

Yes I generally dissolve in pail first and was told years ago to throw the remaining granuals aside as they were bad for bleaching the liner, ?? true say u ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.