Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: no pump for a few days! how and what quantity of liq.bleach??

1. Back To Top    #1

no pump for a few days! how and what quantity of liq.bleach??

Okay! so I've been creeping this site for a while now and learning some things :>)). I have had a pool for the better part of 20 years and learn't to test my own water and generally have no problems keeping a very clear pool. I have always used granular shock and stabilized pucks, I do use non-chlorine shock occasionally when I don't want to baby sit chlorine readings. However I don't like shock and could easily be switched to liq. chlor. My problem is what quantities to add?? I know there is different strength's 6-12%, When I opened the pool 2 weeks ago I used shock cause was not sure how much bleach I would add? and now my pump has been toast since Saturday sometime(I was away) and I broadcast some shock by hand this morning but hate the fact that I get residual grains in bottom of pool and a weird white film on top. Soo can I add bleach and how much without ciculation?? mix with a paddle??
    Marc
    14 x 28 IG, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 3/4hp pump, auto puck chlorinater,(used only when away) Hayward Natural gas heater, vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: no pump for a few days! how and what quantity of liq.bleach??

Hi Marc,

You can use pool math to figure out how much bleach to add:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Enter your stabilizer (CYA) first and check the Suggested FC Levels to get your FC target.

Are you disolving the granular in a bucket first? Try dumping only half of the bucket and then add more water to dissolve further.

Either way, I think you should pump for four hours at least, even with the bleach.

-Rob
    7400gal AG :: Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1hp single speed pump :: Hayward Pro 150lb sand filter :: RayPak 156 150k BTU natural gas heater :: TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You can use your pool brush to help mix in the beach or really get the water going with something like a canoe paddle. A sump pump with the water drawing from the deep end and returning to the shallow end can help too - but don't let anyone in the water with that pump in it.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by I.Robert View Post
    Hi Marc,

You can use pool math to figure out how much bleach to add:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Enter your stabilizer (CYA) first and check the Suggested FC Levels to get your FC target.

Are you disolving the granular in a bucket first? Try dumping only half of the bucket and then add more water to dissolve further.

Either way, I think you should pump for four hours at least, even with the bleach.

-Rob
    Yes I generally dissolve in pail first and was told years ago to throw the remaining granuals aside as they were bad for bleaching the liner, ?? true say u ??
    14 x 28 IG, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 3/4hp pump, auto puck chlorinater,(used only when away) Hayward Natural gas heater, vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5

I've heard that throwing them away is so that you don't inadvertently increase your calcium hardness. To me, it feels like there must still be some chlorine in there.
    7400gal AG :: Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1hp single speed pump :: Hayward Pro 150lb sand filter :: RayPak 156 150k BTU natural gas heater :: TF-100 test kit