New member in Mauldin, SC

Hi! We're just in the very early planning stages for a small inground pool we might begin work on next year. Saw this photo during a backyard landscaping search, and my wife wanted to head out then and there with a shovel: (A friend just finished his own rather larger AG pool, but buried, and the weather's really hot.)
11709534_687937618002976_3488044254374801356_n.jpg

This came up while talking about water features for our backyard, so I'm wondering: Has anybody tried to integrate an inground pool into a water garden? I'm thinking 4-6 feet of water lilies around the pool, with access by stepping stones.

Thanks for the welcome!

Oh, I'm aware that you'd have to keep the waters separate. The Koi wouldn't be very good for the water quality in the pool, and I don't imagine they'd enjoy the chlorine, either.

I've got access to a basically unlimited supply of granite rubble, and was thinking that the wall at the back of the pool could absorb the soil I dig out for the pool, as well as obstructing our view of the neighbor's yard.

Which really needs obstructing. :eek:

Some biography: I'm a mechanical engineer, and built my previous home myself, not terribly afraid of DIY projects. I'm going to minimize the financial end of this as much as possible, which is why a small pool, and looking for a way to use the dirt, so it doesn't need to be hauled off.

Right now I'm accumulating data before I start in on the CAD.

I used the dirt dug-out from our pool to create a "berm" - a higher plateau of sorts behinds the pool. It adds character when viewed from the front, provides an attractive place for nice landscaping, and also shields us from our rear neighbor's view. At the same time, I avoided any dirt haul-away fees. :)